Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'77 K5 parts truck has to go. Should I keep the axles?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerFarm, Apr 17, 2003.

1. BlazerFarm

BlazerFarm Texagonian Premium Member

\'77 K5 parts truck has to go. Should I keep the axles?

I have a '77 K5 parts truck that I have to get rid of. There's just no more room in the driveway. It's a Cheyenne with what I assume is a front D44 and rear 10 bolt. At least that's what I assume came in all of them that year. I don't know the gearing.

The main question is, should I keep the axles? I was looking at the CK5 front D44 swap on Project UAV. I also have a 1990 K5. Is the D44 that much better than the 10 bolt? Of all the K5s that I have owned I really have never done that much with axles and would like to start.

Of course, if I did the swap I would have to make sure that the gears matched with the current 1990 10 bolt rear. Would it just be easier to inspect the 77 10 bolt and swap both axles? Am I asking for a lot of trouble here? Thanks for any advice.

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Re: \'77 K5 parts truck has to go. Should I keep the axles?

it really isnt worth it to swap a d44 in place of a 10 bolt, unless you want the gears in it.

the rear end in that 77 would be a 12bolt, unless somone swapped in a 10 bolt over the years.....

personally i would try and sell the axles first, but if you really need to get that thing outa there, i wouldnt waste the time to remove them and store them,

But it always seems like when you get rid of something, there is always somone who comes around a few weeks later who wants to buy the exact thing that you just junked. never fails.

3. BlazerFarm

Ok, I'll ask this one. If I want to go to a 14FF rear in the future should I keep the D44 front? The reason I ask that one is that since the 14FF rear is 8 lug I would want to convert my front to 8 lug as well. I saw the Project UAV D44 8 lug conversion but how hard is it to make a conversion to 8 lug for the 10 bolt front and should anyone want to do such a thing?

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I bought a set of 3/4 ton axles with matching gears from a private owner (Not a salvage yard) for a whole whopping $250.00 . By the time you'd regear, your 44 to match the 14 bolt, and swap the outters, you'd probley spend more money then buying a matching set. Just something too keep in mind.

5. BlazerFarm

Thanks a lot for the info guys. I didn't really want to try to store that stuff anyway.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If you find out what the gear ratios are, then you may be able to sell those axles. Not everyone on the planet is converting their GM trucks to 1-tons. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Junkyards get $300-600 EACH for those, so if you place an ad for maybe $200 each, then you might find yourself with some extra cash for other toys. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif But BEFORE you place an ad, you'll need to know for sure what axles they are, what gear ratios, and whether or not they have any type of traction devices installed in them. They will bolt into any half-ton 4WD GM truck made between 1973 and 1987, and half-ton K5's and Suburbans from 1973 to 1991. There may be someone out there that just blew up a differential and needs just what you've got. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Harry is right, you might aswell try and sell that stuff, ya never know what parts somone has been searching for, Put an ad in the trucktrader, Oregon and Washington

Make an ad for the back page in the truck trader, with all the parts that you have, and i bet you get some calls...

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Agreed, try too sell the whole thing verses just hauling it to a scrap yard. Be better to put a few bucks in your pocket if ya can. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Other posts are absolutely right. Find the ratio, if they are 3.42 or numerically higher, you'll have almost no problem selling them IMO.

Since I live near you, I've got some experience in this, since I've advertised in the buy and sell for quite some time. I was amazed how many calls I had for axles, although I didn't have any.

At the local yards, you will pay $400 for a front axle, and approx. $200 for a rear. Private parties are usually less, but $200 for the pair is still a decent deal if you can honestly say they are in running condition.

Advertising is free in the local buy and sell. Have to pay for the mag if you want to look for parts, but advertising is free. You can PM me and I can send you the email address to send your ad to if you like. Great selling/buying resource, LOTS of customers all over the state, both west and east side.