Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

77 K5 Rear Axle Seals

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Overdrive, Jun 30, 2000.

1. Overdrive

Overdrive Registered Member

I just finished replacing the rear leafs & blocks with new 4" springs. I noticed the entire right rear drum backing plate and rim (back side) were covered in what appears to be axle oil. I first thought it was a leaking wheel cylinder but the brake fuid in the res. looks ok. I need to first clean-up the goo but it looks like a blown axle seal. Anyone messed with replacing these? I know the innerworking of the 12 bolt and have read several articles through-out the years on gear installs. I am wondering how difficult it is to pull the axle and replace the seal. I think I just need to remove the diff cover, unbold and remove the center pin (I think that is what it is called), push in on the axle and remove the c-clip. Am I even close? I plan on checking the bearings and replacing the oil soaked brake shoes (I will do both sides). Thanks for any assistance!

Overdrive

P.S. The rear springs are fantastic!!! Much better than the 23 year-old stock springs with lift blocks. The ride is 100 times better (Firm yet not harsh).

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

You are correct on the procedure. Replace the axle bearings while you have them out. You will need a slide hammer or other special tool to get the bearings out.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

3. MudRebel350

MudRebel350 1/2 ton status

Im sure you know this already but its best to do both sides inside of one and doing that procedure twice. Just dont break the small bolt in the center pin, I did that and was in a world of anger to get it out, it wasnt fun. Oh its was a 10 bolt not 12 but its still a pain to get that thing out.

J.D.
    88 Gmc Jimmy