Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

77 Suburban 14ff Ebrake Cables

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 73K5Kid, Mar 17, 2007.

1. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

Can someone help? I know that my 89 K5 will be a direct bolt in for the 77 suburban 14ff. Although the ebrake cables seem to be shorter on the suburban 14ff. I have a 14sf in it right now. I thought this was a direct bolt in 14ff axle and ebrake cables. I did a search. Did I get an odd 14ff and will this not bolt up:confused: :doah: Thanks

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I think you'll have some juggling to do, as there are two styles of parking brake cables, one for 73 to maybe 82 or so, and the other from then on.

Said another way, the 3/4 ton 14BFF's bolt up to the K5 chassis for 73-91, but the p-brakes are different past some point in the early 80's.

The olde trucks have two cables, one down each side, and the new style has one on the passenger side.

Anyway, I would think that with some ingenuity and a good local hardware store (couple of mine sell aluminum aircraft cable and the sleeves to crimp it ;) ) you can make it work ... or get the backing plates from a 14BFFthat's post-80-something, and use them on your truck.

TOLD you you wanted disc =))

-- A

3. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

Thanks Dremu. I am going to take the 14sf cables off and put them on the 14ff. I just did not want to mess with the ebarke cables. Disks will come some day. :p: Fedex says I should get weatherstripping for the top today. Thanks again.

4. dremu

You may have some fun with the cables mounting up to the backing plates as the cables may not interchange, so *if* the backing plates are interchangeable, you may want to switch them.

I know that's vague, but I can't remember precisely how they differ... I just ended up spot-welding the cables onto my backing plates, problem solved :deal:

Ah yeah, forgot that Fedex Home delivers Tues-Sat. Sweet!

-- A

5. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

Looks like I will have my shop deal with the ebrake. I am probably gonna have to get the brakes power bleed anyways. I had to have them do it when I swapped the 14 sf. Yeah can't wait for my package. Hope it does the trick.

6. dremu

Wuss! Wuss! :haha:

Nah, I'm just too cheap/poor to pay anybody else to work on my junk... plus with three fullsizes, I couldn't afford it anyway :D

Just be careful opening that box, as they are purrrrdy =))

-- A

7. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

One more thing is that the "new" style are push in clips, and the "old" style are bolt in. If your 14SF has the same size brakes (13") you can just swap backing plates from the SF into the FF. Thats what we ended up doing with my brothers 85 which has a 75 14bff under it.