Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

77blazin v/s uhh? What was that??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77blazin, Jan 5, 2002.

1. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

Hi everyone and a happy new year to you all.
    Need some imformation on something I've come across.
    My 77 blazer is a rust-bucket, it's got good suspension and a overhauled transfer case but the body is wasted, so I went looking around for parts.
    I came across another blazer freak like me, but you wouldn't believe what he offered me.
    Since my blazer was going nowhere and the shipping for brand new parts cost more than the part itself, he offered me this:
    1985 K5 Blazer (Blue) with sliding side windows, 350 engine (The Carb needs work) has fair interior, tilt steering, but the body was fairly rusted out.....&
    1987 K5 Military Blazer, no hood, no engine, no front seats, but does have the folding back seat.
    All sheet metal on Military blazer is sound with no rust on any part of the vehicle (Shocking Huh?)
    And another nicely sound front clip.
    All for $500.00
    What do you think??
    He even told me that I can work in his yard!
    believe it or not???
    Michael

1977 K5 Blazer
    1975 K5 Blazer
    Running over those big waves that rocks us

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Hmmm are ya askin if this is a good deal or are ya braggin. LOL [​IMG]
    Hell ya it might take a bit of time but with 3 rigs ya should come out with a sound runnin rig.
    I would jump all over that if I had the dough and was in yer shoes.
    It is a good thing that I don't have money every time I see a "good find" My yard would rival that of the local salvage yard. LOL

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Sounds like a cool deal! Most of the parts can be interchanged between the 77, 85 and 87, except for the frames and tubs. The 77 is different from the 85 and 87, due to a change in the rear floor design. They changed the frame to put the lower footwell in the back for the rear seat passengers. Just something to keep in mind as you build your FrankenTruck. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

4. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

Thanks for the imformation between the 77 and the 85-87, actually There were a few things that were still salvagable on the 77, but the millitary rig was going to be the frame up restoration, the rest, well I'll let you know.
    I just needed a truck for all the little goodies I do, my preludes just give me tickets.
    Michael

1977 K5 Blazer
    1975 K5 Blazer

5. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

No, I'm not braggin about this, just need a good sound Blazer for my little hobbies I do.
    The 77 will actually be torn apart, that truck sits in my garage, while the other two the 85 &amp; 87 are sitting at my friend's place.
    I just needed opinions on whether to restore the 77 or go after a more promising 85-87 for the same price, just has a little more parts.
    But it would be good to see these 3 rigs put together as one without having to spend so much money on buying parts.
    Michael

1977 K5 Blazer
    1975 K5 Blazer

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the rust bucket is a pickup cab candidate

formerly 77chev

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yeah, I would sort of go with MJ's advise. Keep the 77 like it is and wheel the bejezus out of it. Dedicated off road rig there with the rusted out body OR a pickup cab (more money). If it breaks, has overly flexy suspension, or won't pass smog, who cares. Then fix up the 1009 with the engine, civi interior parts and wiring from the other rust bucket for "street oriented (comfy) but off-road capable" daily driver.

Sounds like a sweet deal.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

8. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

I just stripped a abandoned 73 pickup just for the Blazer, The parts are still sitting in the blazer.
    It is not that badly rusted, just the cab flooring is half missing.
    Michael

1977 K5 Blazer
    1975 K5 Blazer

9. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

Thank you Baddog, I never knew that 1009 was the name for the millitary blazer, I hear alot of responses on these vehicles, never knew why though, just thought they were tougher than the regular K/5s, but yeah, I'm thinking about keeping the 77 alive for just the fishing I do but hope it doesn't fall off the cliff when making those narrow turns.
    Michael

1977 K5 Blazer
    1975 K5 Blazer