Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

78 3/4 ton Master Cylinder and Proportioning valve question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Yukon Jack, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

I have removed a manual brake master from my 1970 K5 and have installed a master cylinder, booster and proportioning valve from a 1978 3/4 ton.

I removed the donor parts quite some time ago and I don't recall which reservoir is supposed to feed the front as opposed to the rear.

I currently have it hooked up with the front reservoir going to the proportioning valve to feed the front brake lines.

Can someone with a 78'ish 3/4 ton take a look and see which reservoir feeds your front brakes? I believe your proportioning valve should be on a crossmember about below the engine fan.

Here is how mine is presently ran

[​IMG]

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Normally the rear res feeds the front brakes. This isn't always true, but it is at least 90% true.

3. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

If one reservoir is larger, that one will feed the front. If they're both the same size, it doesn't much matter. The piston is the same size all the way through, disc brakes just require a larger volume of fluid over time due to the way a caliper "self-adjusts".

4. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Thank you!