Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

78' 4 speed and np205 in 89' blazer?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89blaze, Mar 6, 2003.

1. 89blaze

89blaze Newbie

78\' 4 speed and np205 in 89\' blazer?

ok i am sick of 700r4 rebuilds, there is a 78 blazer in the junkyard by me, would the granny 4 speed and np205 transfer case fit? is the wheelbase the same? and could i use my np241c t-case? any responce would be helpful thanks.

2. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Re: 78\' 4 speed and np205 in 89\' blazer?

The wheel base is the same but you'd need different driveshafts than what you have. get the ones off the 78 if you can.

Swapping to a manual isn't easy but many folks do it. You would also need the flywheel, clutch linkage, pedals, etc.

A 78 SM465 trans won't bolt up to a 241 case unless you get a different output shaft and adaptor. You'd be better off to swap the whole thing if you are going to do it.

I've got a 465/205 combo from a 78 I just about have sold (guy getting it saturday) and this is what I pulled and what is needed to be able to swap into another blazer.

From my ad here to give you an idea of what parts are involved
    [ QUOTE ]

Flywheel for SB chevy
    Pressure plate
    Throw out bearing
    Clutch fork
    Brake/clutch pedal assembly
    Clutch Z bar w/ clutch adjuster assembly
    SM465 trans
    Adapter w/bushings
    Crossmember
    NP205 flixed yoke t-case
    Front & Rear Drive shafts
    Transmission hump floor pan
    Shifters w/knobs for both
    Shifter boots and plate
    Bolts for all of the above
    Associated springs

The only things needed to make it ready to run are:

Needs new Clutch disk
    Clutch pilot bearing
    Gear oil
    New ujoints for drive shafts (All but one looks ok but...)
    Screws to hold down shifter boots
    New cotter pins for linkage (should only be 1-2 missing)
    And the time to put this stuff in

[/ QUOTE ]

You would also need a bracket for the clutch Z bar. This peice is riveted to the frame if you want to pull it from the truck or you can fab one up.

You would also need to cut the hole for the clutch linkage and if you don't get the transmission hump from the donor truck you'd have to cut a hole for each shifter.

Hope that helps you.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

In an 89 all the holes are dimpled from the factory to run the hydo clutch. I'd get the hydro parts and use them instead of the caveman linkage...much cleaner install, less work, and a nicer clutch when it's done.

The tranny tunnel in an 89 does not unbolt...but again it is already dimpled for the shifter. The T-case shifter should come through the shifter hole that is already there...but might require some fine tuning.

rene

4. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

agreed. Hydro is going to be my next big upgrade I think.

My left leg is so much stronger than my right leg I can almsot see the difference. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Hold out for a hyde. setup, as was mentioned the holes are already there, it's better, and you don't want to cut the hole for the mech. pushrod then have to patch it later if you want to go hyde.

6. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

I'd say go four speed as soon as you can, hydro or not. Hydro might be easier on your leg, but its kind of hard to find all of the hydro stuff (it was for me here in Ohio anyway). The mechanical stuff is easy to find (right next door to you!), it works, its reliable, its cheap, and you can do the swap right away. Then you can watch and search for the more expensive hydro stuff and install it later. You won't screw anything up by going mechanical now.

7. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

What year trucks and blazers did GM start to use hydro clutches instead of mechanical? I'll be doing the swap this summer and I need to know what year vehicle I need to yank the setup from. Thanks.

8. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

9. 89blaze

89blaze Newbie

sorry i didnt get back sooner i am at school and only get to a computer every few days. thanks for all the help. i got a 78 blazer out of the junkyard for $150.00 so i have all the parts just wanted to make sure it would work thanks for the help.