Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

78 and 91 Dana 60 differences / preferences

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 73 Heavyd, Mar 13, 2002.

1. 73 Heavyd

73 Heavyd Registered Member

Which chevy single wheel version of front Dana 60 is best, a 1978 and a 1991. What year did the earlier axles shafts neck down, and considering similar condition are there any strength differences between these years?

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I know that a 79 axle still had the axles that knecked down so I would stay away from the 78 & 79 stuff unless it was priced "cheap enough" that axle diameter didn't matter. I have a personal preference for the original Spicer locking hubs (81 was the last year for them). I know of no other differences between them.

Like I said though, if the price is right BUY IT, they don't make them anymore.

3. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I don't know any details about axle differences, but the earlier version uses a lockring with tabs that bend over the spindle nuts. The later version has a tit on the inner spindle nut that fits into a lockring and another spindle nut to secure it. Beyond that, I would be happer with either one. The later version would be preferable to me because it would theoretically have less overall wear.