Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

78 Blazer project truck

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Talorgen, Jul 11, 2000.

1. Talorgen

Talorgen Newbie

I've got a 78 Blazer Cheyenne and the body's falling off. Obviously, it's time to figure out what options I have...

The frame looks decent. There's lots of scale that I can just knock off of it, but what's left behind looks solid to me.

The only body parts that appear to be worth anything are the left fender (obviously replaced sometime recently), the hood, the front grille, and the fiberglass cap on the rear.

I have a pretty good 400 in this thing, and the NP203 & tranny are in good shape as well. Aside from being full-time 4x4 the drive train is pretty good. It's got a 4" lift kit in it and 33x12.5x15 tires.

I figured I might could get a body (what year models would work?) and just swap that out, or I might get a complete vehicle with a blown motor/tranny and drop this drive train in. I've never done that kind of work before, though - I don't know what kind of stuff I might be in for. Anybody got some advice?

Thanks!

2. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

3. 85blaze

85blaze 1/2 ton status

NOT TRUE..

Driveline - yes fibreglass cap - yes fenders, hoods, core supports, Different, I don't remember the year of the change, 78 maybe???

Blaze On ----- into the $$$ pit! Dang these things can cost ya alot!

4. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

Re: NOT TRUE..

Possibly 1980 to 1981 (front clip change)

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    86 Jimmy 4+3, 35-&gt;39.5 tires,4spd
    </font color=green>
    [​IMG]

5. BI U JIMMY

BI U JIMMY Registered Member

78 was the changing year for the bodies. the earlier years had the body mounts in different locations due to the change in the floorboard configuration. I guess anything after 78 will do. I was in the same situation with my Jimmy but I decided to fix the rust instead. I dont know how your state is but ours determines the year of your truck by the body, where the vin is. I chose to stay with my body to avoid emission worries. Something to think about.

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

The front clip changed in 1981.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

7. Talorgen

Talorgen Newbie

Unfortunately, the rust damage is severe. Both floorboards are completely toast from the frame outward, including that little lip at the bottom of the door frame. The fenders have nothing solid at the cab to bolt to. Both door catches have pulled through the sheet metal and are kinda jimmied into place. The bottom quarter of all external sheet metal is riddled with rust holes. The stiffeners under the body (not the frame, but the parts of the body which run next to the frame and (I think) have the mounts attached to them) are almost gone. The cross-member that usually supports the passenger seat mounts is also toast on the passenger side. (The seat's been pulled so that I could put a temporary floor in & use the truck when I really need the extra wheels.)

I didn't judge the condition of the body properly when I bought it - all of these parts except the exterior sheet metal have deteriorated signifigantly with the usage since I bought it. Still, I like the truck and am going to put what I can on the road anyhow.

I haven't asked yet to see what the emissions rules are. I know I need to... I live in one of the counties in NC that does do emission testing.

How difficult is it to modify an older motor to pass the emissions guidelines? I have _no_ emissions equipment on it now, not even cats. It was originally a leaded vehicle. It's got newer heads on it and an Edelbrock intake/carb, in case any of that makes a difference.

Thanks for the great information. Once I find out what's available at least now I know what I can use...

8. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

I'm in NC as well but no sniffer test. As far as I can tell my 78 doesn't have much emission equip so I'm ok. As for the body a 78 and later body will work or you can buy a wire fed welder alot of panels and start hacking. That's what I'm doing, though mine doesn't sound as bad...

Love, Peace, and Hair Grease...........