Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

78 Chevy Truck Body Mount Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by merc359, Oct 8, 2006.

1. merc359

merc359 1/2 ton status

I am having some trouble with my truck body mounts - possibly due to my own negligence. I have 1978 Chevy Shortbox that I tore apart and am putting back together. When I tore apart the mounts, the metal sleeves and washers were totally rotted out and useless. I threw EVERYTHING pertaining to body mounts out in the trash.

I have now purchased the High Energy Suspension Polyurethane mount kit for the truck for the Cab and Rad Support. I assumed that I needed the sleeves as well, so I ordered up stock sleeves from LMC Truck.

Bottom Line: The sleeves don't fit into the High Energy Mounts. The mount hole diameter is too small for the sleeve shaft to fit into. Then I look at the high energy mount construction, and like other High Energy products, the steel seems to be built into the mount. Do I even NEED the sleeves at all?

I have sorted out the box issue with help from some knowledgeable folks here already as it pertains to mounts.

So my question about the cab runs like this:

Do I need the sleeves to run through the mount any longer, and if so Which mount? The stock ones don't fit the new mounts from High Energy.

Second, I suppose I put the 3" body lift blocks on TOP of the Urethane mounts? I know that sounds retarded, but I have never put a body lift into a truck and the combination of new parts and upgraded parts is causing me fits.

Thanks,

Merc359

Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

There should be some type of metal washer that goes on top of the poly mount, then the lift block goes between this metal washer and the body.

3. merc359

merc359 1/2 ton status

There was no metal washer that came with the poly mounts, but I could fab something up easily enough.

Does that mean that I DON'T need the sleeves?

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I'm not for sure how the body mounts go together since I haven't worked much with them, but I think the metal washer on top is connected to the sleeve that runs down though the mount.

Here is a pic of the stock mount with a 3" block on a '96 Suburban

[​IMG]

5. merc359

merc359 1/2 ton status

Ahhh ok that is what I needed. Thanks.

I have a suspicion I am going to have to fabricate my own sleeves as the stock ones don't fit. I suppose I could give High Energy a call, but that is bound to be on-hold, touch-tone dialing fun like sticking my hand in the fan belts.

I might just go crawl around the wrecker yard and see if I can get a set of older mounts and hardware that aren't totalled.