Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

78' CK for $1200???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by theitalian404, May 25, 2005.

1. theitalian404

theitalian404 Registered Member

Hey guys, I need some more opinions...so here it is. I'm in the market for a project 4x4...so i've been calling, looking, and searching. I'm trying to stay under $1300 so..it's tough. Well...today we started remodeling some guys basement about 10 minutes from my house...and in his driveway sits a...helpless, tired 1978 C/k 10 4x4, single cab stepside on 33's. So...before I knocked off work, I saw the owner of the house..and asked about the truck/if it was for sale. He said yeah, and told me everything is fine except for minimal rust, and two dryrotted tires. Well, I looked at it closer...and MINIMAL rust is a bunch of bull.... it has A LOT of rust. Thankfully no cancer is on the body, but all the fenders have at least 4" of rust surrounding the outer, and the inner fenders are almost gone. I also noticed that in the bed of the truck is a load of wet, rotted mulch that has been there for god knows how long. It is also misssing a grille. The rust doesn't seem to be such a donwfall...i'll sawzall the outer fenders at least 3" anyways....and the front inner fenders can be found at a local junkyard. BUT THE BED....it's covered in mulch...and if it's rusted out I could just replate it, or tear off the whole bed and make a custom diamond plate bed. It also has a 350 with a edelbrock carb. He cranked it up for me..and i must say it beats a mean lick..he also said all of the axles are like new on the inside(rebuilt in 02'), and that it had a new tranny in 00'. Sorry im typing like crazy..im just so amped about this truck(it has a lot of offroading potential!!!). So...I asked him how much he'd let it go for...and he said he paid $1500 for it two years ago just to have for a hunting truck..and he said for me to make an offer if i was interested. So...I said..."okay, let me sleep on it... ". So here I am now..what should I do? Say screw it...and find another truck...or make an offer? So..tell me...make any opinions/comments at all...any are welcome.

-Thanks,
    Grasso.

2. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i'd say 800 tops. point out all the cancer in the fenders/bed and say how much its gonna cost to bring it back to stock. even if you plan to just cut the rust out.

3. theitalian404

yea, I did. Ha, that would be funny if i did wind up buying it...and he saw me a month later with no bed, and teh front fenders sawzalled to the hood so i could squeeze some 38's under it. :grin: ..and a cracked windshield, dented doors, and maybe a can of primer...or two.

Ha, anymore suggestions??

4. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Offer 800 and if he doesn't bite go up to 1000. I wouldn't go any higher than that.

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

$800 sounds about right.

and its not a C/K 10, if it has a front axle and a transfer case its a K10. if it has no front axle, then its a C10. it cant be both.

6. theitalian404

your right beater k 20...I dunno why I put " C/K " ?

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Sounds like a good $500 beater, but unless the motor/tranny/tcase is something special I wouldn't go over that. Down there you should be able to find trucks with minimal rust for under $1000 that need minor work.

8. Iron_Weasel

Iron_Weasel Registered Member

I say lowball him with something like $600 and work up from there.
    If he's really desperate to sell it and you have cash in hand, he might just take it.
    Two months ago I picked up a 79 K10 that has a rusty bed and a small patch of rust on the front passenger wheel well. Nothing too bad considering it's a quarter of a century old. Alternator, power steering pump, alot of wiring, and some other miscellaneous things needed replaced.
    He was asking $1750 for the truck and I offered $1100 cash. He didn't bite for that low of a price, so I bumped it to $1300 cash and he took it - $450 difference. I had $1500 cash in hand at the time because that was as high as I was willing to go.

I knew he wouldn't take the $1100, but that wasn't the point, the point was to see how fast he wanted the truck gone. And on something like what you're looking for, he may want it gone pretty badly, so you may get lucky if you start off at a retarded price like $500 or $600.

9. theitalian404

yeah, i offered the motha $750...he said not a chance...i said $900...CASH MONEY....he said "no way in hell"....so i said..sell it when you wanna be real. and my dad totally agreed. Screw that guy...now im gonna have to rip out the laminated beam holding up his 1st floor and his whole house will cave in.(hehe).... I think my best bet is to find a tired k5 or c10 in a junkyard with a 350, and good axles/transmissions...btw...ANYONE selling anything?

-Grasso.

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

a C10 will only have one axle... :rolleyes:

11. theitalian404

HA! Dammit Beater, you caught me again. I meant "K"..but we get in hurries...and I made a typo. rofl! anyways...beater...you selling anything?

-grasso

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If you continue to post 'wanted ad' type stuff, this thread will go to the same dark place the other one did...mmmkay? Either that or pony up for a membership and post it in the correct forum.

Rene

13. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Man, you guys are tough.$600? I'd tell an offer like that to take a hike, if you don't have the money, then why U askin! Let's be realistic here, $500, $600, that's ridiculous.
    I thought the general rule of thumb on a 4x4 was if it was all there and the drivetrain all worked and could run & drive, it was worth at least $1000? If it were mine, I wouldn't take less than a g.....
    You can't find rustfree pu beds for $500, let alone a whole truck.