Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

78 Jimmy (long)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Adub, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Adub

Adub 1/2 ton status

Hey, Im new to the board. I am looking into buying a 78 Jimmy and found this board, thought I might get some helpful advice. I have never owned a full size Blazer and was wanting to know if there are any weak points or typical problem spots to look for.
    Its a 78, it was owned by a kid, but he took decent care of it. Paint is ok, no rust, 4" lift bushwacker flares with 40" tires. 350 with edelbrock 4bbl and intake. Stock T350 trans. 3:40 gears. I checked all the body mounts and floorboard and they are clean. The front fenders and hood don't fit all that well, he said it was from the flares weakening the body. Interior is decent, tires are all bald. I did notice a lot of exhaust coming into the truck as we drove, didn't sound like it had a leak, but I wasn't paying too much attention. The ps pump also sounded like it was having fits with the 40"s. He wants 2500 for it, but he is moving soon, so he will take what he can get if it hasn't sold by then. Personally its not worth 2500 to me because I would need to sink a grand in tires right off the bat. Is there anything else I should look for?
    Thanks
    AW

2. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    no rust

[/ QUOTE ] you sure???? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

78 would have a np203 transfercase that is full time. thats no biggie but if it has not been converted to part time thats something i would do (it will help with tire ware). 40" tires are a little big for those axles those 1/2 ton axle become very unhappy with anything over 36". besides that sounds good to be. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif i've never senn a rust free blazer so if it is $2500 not that high.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

First of all, Welcome to the board! I think the story about the flares weakening the body is bull. The body structure is just too solid for a little bit of trimming to do that. Thats a pretty high gear for those tires, You might want to consider replacing them with some 35's untill you can do something about gearing. The exaust could be any number of factors like was the back window down?, that will do it. Offer him $1800 and see what happens. If it doesnt go through there are always others out there. You choice in vehicles is right on.

4. Adub

Adub 1/2 ton status

I agree 40"s are too big, if I bought it I was going to replace them with smaller tires. There was no rust, I was surprised myself. I have owned plenty of old trucks and I was shocked to see the body condition. I don't believe the truck was wrecked, the front clip problems are probably from body flex offroading maybe? Its all just alignment stuff, no bent parts, should be an easy fix. The window was up while we drove, thats why I was confused by the smell. It has fairly new glass pack duals dumped at the rear of the truck. Thanks for the info
    AW

Oh the tfer case is not a 203, i thinks its a 208 (sorry if Im not up on my terms). It had lockouts. I asked him what the tfer case was he said you choose 2hi, 4hi, and 4lo. He had made a center console that covered up the 4wd shifter, so I didn't get much of a look at it.

5. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

No rust, really! I would recommend carrying heavy magnet and really check the rockers and door jambs, along with the wheel wells. I would also ask if you can pull up the carpet in the rear and take a look under there. These tops can leak and if water gets under that carpet pad...bad news. If this is a northern truck I would be amazed if it didn't have at least some rust in these areas. No telling about the exhaust smell. Like mentioned in the previous posts those are really tall gears for those tires and trust me on this 1/2 ton axles + big tires = stranded motorist. Also, if it were me I would look really hard where the steering box mounts to the frame. Blazers are notorious for cracking their frame here, especially if he has wheeled it with those big tires. Might also explain some of the power steering noise. The aftermarket makes steering box braces that can help strengthen this area, that is after the crack is fixed. $2500 sounds a little steep to me, I would expect it to be more in the $1500 - $2000 range, that is the going rate in my location. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

6. Adub

Adub 1/2 ton status

Well its on Oklahoma. If I got back to buy it, it will be for around 1500 bucks. Is there anyway to look for gear damage. I assume he has been running these 40"s for a while since they are all bald. Thanks for the steering info, I will check it out if I go back.
    Thanks
    AW

7. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

The only way I know how is to pop off the differential cover. Make sure there are no chunks of metal in their and the fluid shouldn't look / smell burnt.

8. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

If the front clip fits poorly, I would be wary of some possible frame damage...might want to check into that.

9. Adub

Adub 1/2 ton status

Lots of good stuff. If the truck is still for sale in a week, I will check it out again, take some cash with me. If not, this is all good stuff for future inspections. If I took a telescoping magnet and stuck it down into the diff housings, would it pick up metal shavings?
    Thanks
    AW