Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'78 Quadrajet choke

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ben B., Aug 25, 2006.

1. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

My choke's always open..I think the spring that pulls it closed is bad but i really don't know much about that stuff as of now. Any ideas?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
  2. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

3. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

first I'd check and see if there's always power going to the coil. if so change it to a switched 12v source. then after that your guess is as good as mine.

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

If it's the divorced choke style that operates off manifold heat the bi-metal coil may just be bad. Check to make sure the linkage is not binding and the adjustment is correct. If those two things are in good order your probably going to have to buy a new bi-metal coil. You can get them at Summit as a last resource but they are pricey. Try to find one at the local NAPA or other parts store.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If it doesn't snap shut when the engine is cold, then I'd check to make sure it's adjusted right.

The spring should be under tension when the engine cools off, (in the morning, not after sitting for an hour or two) kicking the throttle wide open should snap it shut.