Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'78 Tilt Column

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kevcarr59, Apr 19, 2004.

1. kevcarr59

kevcarr59 Registered Member

\'78 Tilt Column

I've got a '78 K5 with a tilt column. Problem is when it's locked in the uppermost position, it will move up about a 1/2". Is there any way to tighten the play in the column??? Second thing, seems the transmission linkage is catching on something, could it be in the column somewhere?? Once in a while, the tranny won't go into 3rd till I move the lever to Neutral and back into drive.

Thanks 4 any help.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

KC

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Re: \'78 Tilt Column

There are screws that loosen inside the tilt column that cause the play. You must disassemble to tighten them, this requires a few special tools and some careful patience. Not sure about the trans linkage /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I found it was easier to find a good solid column and swap the whole thing rather than take apart the joint in a tilt column. What a PITA if you don't know what you are doing or have the right tools!

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

its not hard all you need is steering wheell puller(crank dampner puller) and the GM steering column lockplate compessor and then you can easily get down to the tilt screws,
    i think it takes a reverse torx bit socket to tighten them up my stepdad has a set of such sockets, the screws hold the tilt assembly to the column housing, and have worked themselves loose causing the slop, put lockthread stuff on the threads, or nail polish, either will lock the nut to the threads good enough to not accidently come loose. nail polish works great on carb screws and blts threads keeps them locked in place so carb castings screws dont loosen up

good luck
    /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

5. kevcarr59

kevcarr59 Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. Looks like your solution will work. Have a friend who owned a shop and we talked about it and he said the same thing. He in fact has the star bits to fit it. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

hope you get it fixed lemme know if you need any details or anything

good luck /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif