Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

78Suburban build thread

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by 78Suburban, Aug 30, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I figured since I've been on here for over a year it was about time for a build thread. I'm no where even close to being done.. future plans include bigger meats, dana 60, np205 or maybe even a doubler, HAD shafts, cage, beadlocks, hydro assist, crossover, and a whole ton of other stuff. I'm kinda adding things to the burb as funds come along, trying to take small steps so I can still have fun with it while I add to it.
    Enough rambling... here's some pics..

I started out with a 1978 K20 Suburban I bought from a good friend for 1000 bucks, most of the money used to purchase it was from the crapload of graduation invitations I sent out. It was origionally used at a sand factory, and was a government truck before that. Nothing too special, just 350/400/203, corp 10 front, 14ff rear, open carrier at both ends with 3.73 gears. I was completely clueless about anything untill I found ck5, which was luckily soon after I bought the burb.

[​IMG]

It wasn't capable of much, but its all about having fun, even if it is poser fun :doah:

[​IMG]

I soon added an ORD steering brace, which I don't have a pic of in my photobucket, it cost me about 120 bucks.

I installed some 20 dollar guages from walmart, which let me know my weak feeling motor was only holding 5 oil psi. I was afraid it might spin a bearing with such low oil pressure, so I bought another motor for it, out of a 73 camaro.. its another 350.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had some issues with the motor, turned out to be some valve adjustment and rocker stud replacement solved it.

[​IMG]

I threw on my old aluminum edelbrock intake and 600 cfm performer EPS carb, but don't have a pic handy of those right now either..

Got me a Christmas present. Before the Interco Blem site was outted to pirate and everybody else, and before the demand was way up, I got some tires very cheap. Four 33x12.50x16.5" TSL's, brand new, misprints on the sidewall to my door for $366

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

my girlfriend bought me a seat cover for my birthday
    [​IMG]

Got some kc's and light bar off of ebay.. the light bar has now been sold to a ck5er, and the lights have been moved to the front bumper.

[​IMG]

Cut my teeth on my first body damage

[​IMG]

I bought a red top optima, but the battery box was seeing better days

[​IMG]

So I moved the battery to the rear of the truck

[​IMG]

Got a rear reciever shackle off of ebay for 23 bucks shipped

[​IMG]

The burb was kinda low, and had no flex.... Even though I hacked the fenders, the little 33's still wanted to rub with no sway bar. I was also having the tie rod rub on the tire when I turned all the way to the right, because the stock wheels have so much backspacing.. thought about different wheels or backspacing.. but then I said, what the heck, might as well do a suspension lift.. so the lift part collection began..

2. 78Suburban

so yeah, the stock suspension just wasn't getting it done too well...

[​IMG]

got some 4" front lift springs with 1" zero rates from a ck5er

[​IMG]

Between waiting on parts I got ADD and made some quick release door hinge pins for my driver side door... Still need to get around to making them for the passenger side door..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got an old echobit flip for 75 shipped from pauly.. or was it supersize... it was a colaborative effort we'll say :wink1: Also got some heavy duty shackles from Got Labs.

[​IMG]

the pile was growing.. got some ford shock towers

[​IMG]

got some 12.5" travel shocks on clearance sell from summit. They weren't origionally made for my application, but with some very basic bushing swapping, they fit like a glove.. thanks pvfjr for finding the incredible deal on these shocks!! they ride VERY nice because they self adjust

[​IMG]

got the california stance going at first...

[​IMG]

mounted up some shock towers
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bought some LONG brake lines and a steering arm from pvfjr

[​IMG]

I had to beat my exhaust pipe off my front shaft and take the front shaft off and clearance grind it..

[​IMG]

My rear pinion angle was pointing up sooo high. I called Jessee at HAD, and from my measurements he said to go with a 7* shim, run backwards from how people usually run them.. Ordered some from JKW offroad.. They worked out PERFECTLY.. very nice machining..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seriously considered some kinda custom camo paint

Now that I had a lift on it, I had to go do some quick poser flex...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I decided it was time to paint over my crazy testing areas.. Narrowed it down to chevy engine orange, or grabber green.. I told the girl friend she could pick.. she chose green.. I knew it would look good, because boggerless did his truck in it :bow:

3. 78Suburban

I posted up that I needed a 3rd row seat.. Jimmy (draggbody) said I could have his.. now I just gotta fab up some kinda brackets to hold it down, haven't had time to fool with it yet

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I painted the trim and bumpers with some appliance paint

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

even painted over the old dent

[​IMG]

I had some brake issues, so I decided I would replace calipers at all 4 corners, its been needing it... got some new calipers for the front. Got an extra set of rotors. Going to get another set of calipers this week.. Got this from DIY4X

[​IMG]

The carrier is laying in my truck right now. Tomorrow Jimmy told me he would be able to lincoln lock my carrier. So within the next week or two the 14ff should be disked, welded, and shaved. One day when I get some extra cash I'll have a RuffStuff Cover for it too...
    I can't wait to get the burb driveable again.. I'm missing playing around with it.. Here's how she sits right now, just waiting to be worked on..
    The carrier is laying in my truck right now. Tomorrow Jimmy told me he would be able to lincoln lock my carrier. So within the next week or two the 14ff should be disked, welded, and shaved. One day when I get some extra cash I'll have a RuffStuff Cover for it too...
    I can't wait to get the burb driveable again.. I'm missing playing around with it.. Here's how she sits right now just waiting to be put together and wheeled...

[​IMG]

4. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Awesome progress!

5. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Looks good...shes got a saggy butt though

6. 78Suburban

Look at the bottom of the body line... it level, or maybe higher in the rear.. the front fenders on burbs were cut higher, giving it the optical illusion of a saggy butt.. sometimes people dont' realize this, and end up with way to much lift in the rear.. the key is visualizing a line along the bottom of the rocker panels.. at least thats what I tell myself :D

7. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You've progrees quite abit. Feels kinda reminiscent of how my truck started. DD to mild lift to bigger axles to more tire to upgraded brakes to upgraded steering. Awesome man!!!

8. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Say man do you have brown eyes?

If not your at least a quart low...

9. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

lookin great man! i like the progress so far!

10. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

looks good:thumb:
    keep updating us with what you do, I love burb build up threads
    I dig the green BTW :D :burb:

11. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

looking good James, the ole burb has came a long ways since i 1st time i seen it :waytogo: :D

12. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah man, looks good. Far cry from the original set up.

13. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

awesome man! im glad to see progression like that!

14. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

Very nice burb and I like the color too. Looks a lot like mine with 33's and that lift except for the very green color:D .
    What's the plans for it in the future?

15. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

good job! nice to see another burb project......

16. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Ah, the memories. You've come quite a ways. I wish I could do something similar with my truck, but it all started before I had a digital. I don't even have a picture of what it looked like before I lifted and painted it. :doah:

17. 78Suburban

disk brakes

The burb is now lincoln locked, and disk braked.. beadlocks are in my room and will be on some new wagon wheels within the next few weeks :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was a big improvement over this :doah:

[​IMG]

18. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

now u just need to shave it!

19. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

looks good bro

20. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status