Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'79 1 ton..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jersey, Aug 23, 2001.

1. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

\'79 1 ton..

hey all. question - will a '79 chevy van 1 ton axle work on my truck with a few mods (spring perches, shock mounts)? Can i use the front axle for parts to change over my 6 lug to an 8 lug? What else can i strip off of this thing, if any, that might help me build up my '91 1/2 ton? leafs? tranny? The 350 would be ripped and built on the stand for when my 350 takes a dive, or possibly for my wifes burb. hmmm. Anyhow, reply's/suggestions are appreciated.

- Jersey

'91K5 - 350, 700R4, NP241

2. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

Re: \'79 1 ton..

Unless this is a 4wd van, the front "axle" is going to be pretty useless. Nothing on the front of a 2wd van will be applicable to a 4wd anything, except maybe the rims. The master cylinder might be useful, though with such a new truck as yours it may not fit. Some of the marker light bulbs might be useable, though why you would want to use them is beyond me. You might be able to reuse the driveshaft, since when you have it cut down to fit your truck, you could have the correct joint put on the transfer case end, and maybe gain a stronger driveshaft that way. Cant think of much else. If it has the TH400, that should eb worth something to someone, even if it only nets you some cash you can apply to your truck. Hope this helps.

Email: littlepig@keepandbeararms.com

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>The rear axle will work if you move the spring pads and shock mounts. You will also need a conversion u-joint (Napa #447) with the two different sized u-joint caps.</font color=blue>

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You could also get the trans dip stick. They are longer so you can check your fluid level without climbing into the engine compartment and burning your hand on the hot radiator.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

5. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info guys. What wil i need to do/get to change my front 6lug over to 8lug?

'91K5 - 350, 700R4, NP241

6. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>You'll need backing plates, 8 lug wheel hubs, rotors and a couple of grinding disks if you want to use 15" wheels.</font color=blue>