Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

79 Blazer, 4-inch, need info on u-joints

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79cheyenneblazer, Jun 14, 2005.

1. 79cheyenneblazer

79cheyenneblazer Registered Member

:confused: I have a 79 k-5, 4-inch lift with 33's, I put a 2-degree shim on the new re-arched springs and I am still having problems with u-joints. I get a loby vibration when I take off from a stop and the u-joints have in the past been eatting up needle bearings. I put the napa heavy duty u-joints in and they do the same. I have the original drive train still in it, 350/350/np203, so I am asking since there are a lot of you out there with lifts, what do you do about this? Which u-joint do you recommend? I was told by someone that I should put traction bars on the rearend to stop the vibration on take offs, would that help? I just need info on this since I am driving the blazer everyday. Thanks for any help you might have.

2. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Well first I got a "1 ton" driveshaft with 1350 U-Joints. Before, my U-joints may last a month if I babied it. After the driveshaft they lasted a few months. What really cured my vibrations was a CV driveshaft with 1350 joints. You will need to get a new pinion yoke for the rear but the CV has never failed me. Even when my U-bolts loosened and my axle shifted it still held up fine. Personally I think CV driveshafts are the only way to go!!
    :cool1:

3. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

The ujoint angles at the TC and rear end need to be the same. By adding the shims it is now probably worse than before. If you cannot get equal u-joint angles, then a CV shaft is a good choice for a fix, but it costs $$$$$

Last edited: Jun 15, 2005
  4. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I have an '86 lifted 4". The first thing I did after I drove it around the block was drop the transfer case 1". No vibes, and ujoint's stay in as long as I let them.

John

5. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Have a '90 K5 w/4" lift. Mine vibrated like crazy. I bought a new shaft w/ CV joint up front. No vibration at all now.

6. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Hmmm. I dropped my t-case and still had vibes.

7. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

4in tc, 1in tcase drop, no probs

8. 79cheyenneblazer

79cheyenneblazer Registered Member

Yeah I thought about a CV joint, would it be possible to stick a cv joint into the stock driveshaft, by a driveshaft shop of course, or would I have to buy a whole new driveshaft?

9. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

You could probably use the stock driveshaft as a core, and buy a new CV driveshaft. Not sure if someone can modify the stock one easily, or if a new one is easier. Its probably best to shop around, for the best deal. If money is not a big issue, High Angle Driveline makes (in my opinion) the best, high-end driveshafts available. Still, a competent shop should be able to put something together that would work for less $$. http://www.highangledriveline.com/1350_constant_velocity_joint.htm

10. ntx78k5

ntx78k5 1/2 ton status

78 W 4" lift, 1" drop kit for the transfer case and all is well.