Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'79 Body Removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Tonyraca, Oct 8, 2000.

1. Tonyraca

Tonyraca Registered Member

\'79 Body Removal

I have a 1979 k5 and It has pretty significant rust damage. I need to replace many different parts of the body, plus I want to do some work on the frame. I figure that the best thing to do would be to take off the entire body. I was wondering if anyone has tried to do this before. It appears that I would have to remove the engine to do this. If the engine needs to be removed I think that I might have to take it someone a little more professional than me to get that sort of work done.

The RustBucket

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: \'79 Body Removal

You can remove the entire front clip in one piece, and then the rest of the body. There should be no need to remove the engine or any of the drivetrain.
    Good luck, mines next![​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

3. Glenn

Glenn Registered Member

If you have to take it to someone to take the engine out I don`t think you should be taking the body off! It`s no fun to take the body off and putting it back on is even worse.
    Good luck!

4. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

First, make sure you have plenty of room in your garage. You'll have to strip everything from the Blazer, top, doors, tailgate, etc., to reduce the overall weight of the body. To remove the body, first remove the hood, then the fenders and then the radiator support. Disconnect the filler hose to the gas tank and the electrical wire to the sender. Disconnect the front and rear diff breather tubes at the axle. Disconnect and remove the shifter (tranny) linkage (clutch linkage if its a manual) and remove the transfer case shift handle. Drain the master cylinder and disconnect the brake lines at the master cylinder. Disconnect the rear lights and tailgate harness (connections should be under the tailpan). Disconnect the wire harness at the firewall for the tailgate (should be right behind the throttle linkage). Disconnect the wiring harness at the junction box by removing the bolt in the center. This will un plug the harness at the firewall. Remove the rest of the harness clamps from the firewall. This will allow the harness to go with the chasis. Disconnect the steering gear box at the flange (four bolts). Remove the 8 bolts that hold the body to the frame. The four that hold the bed down are carriage bolts and if it's rusty like you said they will probably have to be drilled out. I jacked mine up and put it on 6x6 timbers resting on 55 gallon drums. Then I rolled the chasis out from underneath. Word of caution, if you've never done this before, get help. It's not for the faint of heart. A lot of sweating, cussing and discussing and paitence is required. This is the easy part. Getting the chasis back in place and aligned with the body is a whole 'nother ball game.

5. rockosangel

rockosangel 1/2 ton status

We did ours twice! We built an "A" Frame, and it is still working.. used it to yank the enigne out too. We will have plans posted on our site soon. Only took the two of us to do it and not much time at all...It really isn't too hard, just make sure everything is disconnected! Key point there.
    Good luck...

http://www.rockosangel.coloradok5.com
    http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com