Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

79 C20 parts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 76zimmer, Sep 1, 2006.

1. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have a junk 79 C20, that I'm robbing parts off that I think I may use on the Blazer project. I'm getting the 14bff out of it, (springs are rusted and broke), and the steering box for the pitman arm, and the glass. All sheetmetal is rusty, so its getting scrapped. Most of the body parts are no better than what I already have on the blazer, so I'm going to let them go. No engine or trans in it. What else should I save?

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

some things..

I'd keep the dash cluster,and dash pad if its not all cracked--all the switches,any interior parts that are in good shape like door panels,sun visors,etc..heater blower motor and resistor..steering colum and rag joint assembly..trinkets like a clutch pedal linkage,its brackets,and other stuff you usually need to visit a boneyard to get..

If the doors are rotten,remember you CAN buy new "shells",but need the windows and "guts" to put in them--so if your planning on new doors,you may want to keep the glass,rubbers,and all the "guts"..glass is thinner in the 82 up trucks,and wont fit right in the older doors--the "thick" glass is getting harder to come by,as the older trucks dissapear more every year..I keep a spare vent window handy,in case one gets smashed in a break in...:crazy:

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

if the wiring harness isnt butchered too bad, save it too. too many previous owners like to wire things in with old extension cords and the like. a good uncut harness comes in handy sometimes.

4. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Thanks, didn't really think about the wiring, and dash stuff. The pad is shot from the sun, but probably the wiring is ok, it was a company work truck forever. So the glass is thicker up to what year?