Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

79 caddy rear calipers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wraenking, May 26, 2004.

1. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

im assuming for the rear disk conversion, right?

it depends on what model they came off of

edit: those will work. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif thats a damn good price for those. too bad i don't have the $$$ /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

2nd edit: im not sure if the 79-85 will fit or not. im too quick on the draw /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

3. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

it syas they are 79-85 calipers used in conversions. im pretty sure everyone uses 76-78. the price is right if i could use the 79-85 model/

4. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

They will not work unless you use a different rotor. The caliper does not open up enough to fit on a 3/4 ton chevy rotor which measures at 1.25". Those calipers only open up to 7/8" to 1" IIRC.

5. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

ok, so should i go with a smaller rotor, or would you hold out for the 76-78 calipers?

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'm not aware of a thinner rotor that works. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif And those calipers won't fit over your 3/4-ton rotor unless you use brake pads that are mostly worn out. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

That price is pretty ridiculous as well. The '79-85 calipers were used on a LOT of Caddy models, so they're very easy to find in the junkyards. $5 each at the pick-n-pull here. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

ok, well i ordered a set off of car-part.com from a place in indiana. 85 bucks shipped including everything but the pads. i thought it was a good deal, and the guy said they are in great shape!!

8. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    ok, well i ordered a set off of car-part.com from a place in indiana. 85 bucks shipped including everything but the pads. i thought it was a good deal, and the guy said they are in great shape!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I ordered mine from texas from car-parts.com... for $46 total to my door.. they are in transit..the guy said they are in good shape and he warranties his stuff for 90 days.. now I wont have them on my then but hey... if he says he warranties them then he believes they are in clean working order /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif