Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'79 Chevette on K5 Blazer Frame?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sta500666, Feb 8, 2007.

1. sta500666

sta500666 1/2 ton status

So my buddy just found a '79 chevette automatic in prime condition with only 40,000 miles on it and he is probably going to buy it tomorrow... anyway we were looking online for things we could do to it and we came across a bunch of pictures of jacked up 4x4 chevettes!!! I have to admit it they look pretty fun. I saw someone who used a Bronco frame and someone who used a Luv frame.

So I was wondering if anyone had ever done a project like this and what it would take to make a Chevette body fit over a V8 and a K5 frame?

Here is a pic of someone's

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2007
  2. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

3. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

x10.a lifted 4x4 chevette sounds wicked.

4. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooo!
    Trars are not cool.
    they go along with wearing acid washed jeans, sporting a mullet and having a Motley Crew tattoo...
    outdated and soooo 1980's

just put another truck body on it or at least an SUV of some sort.

5. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Best thing I've seen done to a Chevette is when Hot Rod Magazine did the project called the Bad Seed. They hacked the firewall to stuff a stock 500" caddy/th400 into it. Beefed up the rear and went to the track. I'm thinking it went well into the 10s with the junkyard caddy. By no means was it pretty or track legal to run that time, but it was fast none the less.

Keep the body off the 4x4 chassis in my opinion. Stuff a rat or caddy in it and go head hunting on the street for ricers.

6. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

trars are terrible dont do it! u ruin 2 vehicles to make one 1/2ass ugly thing

7. sta500666

sta500666 1/2 ton status

man, why you guys hatin so bad on the 4x4 chevette haha, who ever said I wasn't ratty as f**k lol. I think its obvious its ugly, but in a way its pretty freakin cool. I would deffinatly use an old wrecked blazer so no hard feelings on that end and really who cares if you tear up a chevette? its just one of those projects you have to get out of ya by doing it as soon as you think of it...

8. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

I used to have a 79 "vette" with a 3.8 buick engine and th400. Hooker used to make the mounts and exhaust for it. It made for a great DD, but when you hammerd it, it moved:D .

9. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

some of them look decent, but one of the main reason why people say not do it is because, its alot of time and work to make it look decent, usually people do hackjobs and they look like chit.

10. sta500666

sta500666 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2542892

There is a pic of one that used a Bronco frame and engine, and it looks alright, and yeah it would take time to make it look and run good, but isn't taht the fun part??

I suppose all I was really wondering if anyone had any frame shortening tips, or tips on how to mount the body to the frame. I think this project could easily be completed within a year or year and a half.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2007
  11. sta500666

sta500666 1/2 ton status

Yeah I think you can still get those swap kits, and we thought about maybe doing that but when we came across the 4x4 pics we knew what we wanted haha.

12. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

the only kruck's i like are el caminos, and even there kinda lame jacked up. Plus the cops are going to think your on drugs if you drive one. I think i would get cited for having one of those anyhow because i got cited for having a k30 in my driveway with no front axle in it on jackstands and the cops cited it immediately. they said it was a eyesore from the street and its dismangled so its illegal. Thats what i think of when i see a kruck dismangled, ugly, and illegal to park in the driveway where i live.

13. sta500666

sta500666 1/2 ton status

yeah but you're in cali... haha Iowa is a different story, everyone has trucks sitting in their yard or driveway. A lot of people around here have AMC Eagles jacked up...

14. sta500666

sta500666 1/2 ton status

I saw a '59 el camino jacked up 4x4 in international falls MN. It was pretty tits! I think it was purple too haha!

15. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

no matter what you do to it, in the end, you'll still just have a chevette. :doah:

16. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

Its illegal in san jose to park a dimantled truck in a driveway??? Good thing I live more south in santa cruz :D....damn CA :mad:

17. sta500666

sta500666 1/2 ton status

hey... in the end, all any blazer or truck is, is just some sheet metal bent into a shape. I think i'll be sweet, everyone has their own oppinions.

18. justiz00

justiz00 Registered Member

A friend of mine has a 4 door cutlass on a modified k5 frame. It is so cool to roll up next to a yuppee and see the expression on their face. He parks it next to the boat car.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Got him in Truckin Magazine.
    [​IMG]

19. sta500666

sta500666 1/2 ton status

LoL boat car... I love it and the cutlass too! See you know how to appreciate some weired crasftsmanship!

So my buddy did get that chevette today, his dad bought it for him lol and its in such good of shape with only 40,000 miles on it and no rust that hes just ganna drive it till it breaks then we are ganan pull off the 4x4 transaction, and to all you haters out there, i think every vehicle should have the chance to become a 4x4 to show its real beauty haha!!!!

by the way, my buddy works at a car wash and we got it washed today for free and then got some food, but it is like -7 degrees in iowa right now so the doors copletely froze up and it took foreve to get inside, but we got some lock de-icer that he keeps stashed in the gas door for when he needs it!!! F...in chevettes I tell ya, what an experience!

20. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Do the 3.8 swap instead, It is worth it. Keep it looking stock (sleeper) and start taking out ricers,stangs,cameros,...:eek1::laugh: