Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

79 F350...what axles? new info

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Oct 1, 2005.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

hey there, i noticed today that theres a 79 f350 "parts truck" in the local paper, the guy is askin $600 obo. what axles does this have front and rear? hp60? if it does id consider buying the truck and trading for a chevy 60.

let me know, hopefully i can join teh d60 club :D

Last edited: Oct 3, 2005
  2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

front HP 60, rear LP 60. I'd get it and keep the HP myself but I'm sure someone would trade you a Chevy 60 for it(I would if I had another one).

3. muddybuddy

and then what would i have to do to make it work? what t-case would i have to get? like a ford 205 or something? i would still be able to use the chevy x-over steering right? if it wouldnt be that much more trouble then id consider doin it, dsd is the one part that makes me sketchy.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

78-79 ford hp 60 easy swap for the most part. yes dana 60 high steer will work. and use a ford tcase. best way to do it is dubbler setup with gm 203 and ford 205 or divorced ford 205 case. if divorced it can be installed in middle for best drive line angles.

if you dont want ford 60 front then sell it . thay go for around 1100-1300 on ebay in good shape. this is because all 88-up sas guys need them for theres.

5. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

That F-350 would have a Dana 70 in the rear....

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I second that. Also good for lower gears, way down to 7.17 ratio. :eek1: :bow:

7. muddybuddy

so is it more valuable than a chevy 60? if you could do either one which would you do? is the only difference besides dsd is that its high pinion? how much does that really help you?

im gearing my 14b to 5.13s now for 42s, and the biggest id go would be 44s, depending on price i may do 5.38s when they are available. i wouldnt need to gear down more than that would i?

8. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah, on the open market they're generally more valuable than Chevy pieces. The stub shafts, knuckles, brakes, and spindles are different than Chevy versions...which pretty much makes it a whole different axle besides the inner shafts and the joints. A high pinion helps keep your d-shaft off the rocks alont with decreasing the pinion angle and also makes it so the pinion is running on the correct side of the ring gear which supposedly makes it ~ 30% stronger in that department. (I've never heard of anyone consistantly fragging d60 gears though)

As for the rear, I think if it's a dedicated trail rig with 44's you'll want to go lower than 5.13's (the 5.38's have been promised for some time now) with your axles. Is it worth swapping to a whole new unit if your 14 bolt is already installed? Probably not.

Oh yeah, and make positively sure that the correct axles are under the truck before you buy it. I've seen a couple mix and match one tons that had the good gear swapped out and the owners were trying to make a quick buck.

9. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

Only the 2wd F-350's have the D70 rear...remember, it is a Ford.
    Seriously though, one of my dad's co-workers has an extremely clean one owner '79, and it has D60's fore and aft. He bought it with 40,000 miles and I believe it to be all original.

10. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Anyone know what all different axles Ford has used up front? Reason I ask is.. I tried to look at my father in laws front axle in his 75 or 76 (or so) and because of some fresh cow patties ( :p: ) I couldn't get into the best spot.. but it looked like I had a D70 on the web. I also noticed it had factory hydro assist. Anyway, just curious..

11. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

Ford used D44 and D60 in the 70's trucks, but they switched to discs alot later than chevy (I'm thinking 74 or 75). In '76 and '77, Ford used a low-pinion drivers drop D60 front axle with a different spline count than regular D60s, as well as the D70 inner c's. Like the later D60, though, it isn't in all of the trucks...just some. I do believe Billa gives it a slight nod in the D60 bible.

12. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I'll have to get a good look at it one of these days when I don't have to dodge fresh cow pies .. and when the lighting is better. :p:

I think he want's to sell it since he doesn't use it too much around his place now that he has a Gator. So, I'll probably go over everything before I post it on a local board.

13. muddybuddy

alright, well i think im gonna buy the thing. i havent been over to check it out yet, but its still got the 60 in it and he says its got 70 rear. he seems pretty knowledgeable about trucks, he was sayin he jus finished buildin up a 68 f250 with 18" of lift and such. will the ford t-case bolt up to my 700r4? i really wanna run this hp 60 but if its gonna cost a bunch of money, then im gonna swap for a chevy. im still in highschool and wasnt plannin on gettin a 60 until i could afford it, and $600 for a 60/70 combo is too good to pass up. id jus have to find a place to get rid of the frame and whats left of the cab and bed

14. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Another option is to run the NP241 out of an IFS truck.

15. muddybuddy

yea thats what i really wanna do and get sye for it, but this is gonna be my dd so i need the speedo to work. ive got mechanical and thats electrical. any idea how to convert?

16. mikey_d05

Running an aftermarket electrical speedo would be the path of least resistance. Otherwise I'm pretty sure there were some electrical speedos put in old body style trucks. I think '90's and up are equipped with them. I know my '89 is mechanical but I believe after that they switched. We have a '90 suburban at home if you'd like me to look for you this weekend.

17. muddybuddy

well ive been told that 89 was the last year for it. would a 89 ifs 1500 still have mechanical speedo? if so that would be perfect. otherwise i duno what id have to convert my mechanical to electrical. most ppl use them for trail rigs only so they dont care bout speedo bein accurate or not.

18. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

ifs = electric speedo

19. mikey_d05

I'm pretty sure all IFS trucks have electric speedos. I was suggesting trying to adapt a gauge cluster from a '90 or '91 SUV that was still old body style but probably electric. Otherwise you could just run an aftermarket speedo. Probably the path of least resistance...although not the cheapest.

20. muddybuddy

do i jus need the 90-91 k5/burban gauges to convert to electric? i wanna get it done as cheap as possible, but functional. i like the factory gauges anyways :D