Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'79 factory cruise control

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gravdigr, Sep 19, 2003.

1. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

\'79 factory cruise control

My '79 blazer came with factory cruise which of course does not work anymore. I would like to get rid of the ugly cruise module mounted on my drivers side inner fender. I has a cable from the tcase into the module then one from the module into the firewall and I can only assume it goes to the speedo. The vacuum lines and control wires have already been delt with. My question is can I just connect the cable the went from the tcase to the module directly to the speedo in the dash or will I need a new cable? I'd like to know before I rip the dash apart.

2. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Re: \'79 factory cruise control

Your need to get a new cable the best way is to get a single cable...Some times they try to sell you a middle cable (makes it messy under the hood).... The one that goes onto the back of the speedo clips on. Does your speedo still work? I may be interested in your cruise control unit, I'm trying to repair mine...

3. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I think the speedo still works I haven't had it out driving fast enough to notice. I'll check it out and see.

4. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Napa sells both cables, the non cruise control and the two piece with cruise control kind. I know cuz on account my old speedo cable wore through and was lettin all the tranny fluid escape. Good luck to you.

Allan

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

See if you have the reduction box on the side of the transfer case. Those things give it up. you can take it out and if your lucky it didn't lock up and break the end off in the drive. You can screw the cable right into the tranny,

Those cruise controls are pretty solid. They usualy work or can be fixed real easy. If the cable is good then look at the brake peddle above the brake light switch. . There is a switch up there that turns off the cruise when you hit the brakes (it's pushed when your foot is off the peddle). THe retaining clip sometimes breaks. The other problem is bad vacuum line.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yep most likely the swich, also make sure the hose at the switch is sucking vacuum, youll need a normal longer length speedo cable from around 77-up when they changed to clip-on end at speedo. if you cant find oen then lemme know i have a whole pile of car and truck speedo cables 67-87 all different lengths and both styles speedo ends.

7. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

The cable costs about $11 at Autozone and about 20-25 at the dealer.

8. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

ya got any pics of all that stuff ? im thinking about installing one of them. any under dash stuff ? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

9. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ya got any pics of all that stuff ? im thinking about installing one of them. any under dash stuff ? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean the factory cruise control? All there is that I know of is a module mounted to the inner fender which controls the throttle servo, you will need the braket for the brake switch as it has what just looks like 2 buttons on the brake pedal that look identical 1 for brake lights and 1 for gas. And you will need the switch and wire harness along with the speedo cables. I know this factory cruise doesnt work and rather than try to repair it I was gonna look into an aftermarket kit.

10. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

k, thanks alot. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif