Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

79 GMC Jimmy Transfer Case Problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hybrid3do0rcx, Jun 17, 2001.

1. Hybrid3do0rcx

Hybrid3do0rcx Newbie

I just recently purchased a 79 GMC Jimmy w/ brand new 350 and bolt on mods. Only problem is that the 203 transfer case is busted and I can't find one anywhere! All I want for now is a stock 203 T.C. to put on while im away on vacation and that'll last for a little while until I move and then i'll mess with adding something better later on down the road. But I really need help with finding out where I can find the front transfer case - online or any shops you can point me to in the S.Cali area!!!! I'm trying to learn about these 4x4 behemoths and i know nothing right now, took me long enough to find this message board to get help. Thank you for any help, it is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Now that you've found this board, scroll down to the parts area and check the forum. 203's are common, cheap and you should have no problem finding a replacement.

You say the T-case is busted? What is it doing? 203's are very heavy and very tough, I'm surprised its broken.

If you describe what its doing I'm sure someone here can tell you if maybe it just needs a small repair or if you do indeed need a replacement. Grim Reaper is very knowledgable with 203's and isn't usually shy about sharing...[​IMG]

BTW welcome to CK5!

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

3. Hybrid3do0rcx

Hybrid3do0rcx Newbie

ok,its cracked first off.... it was broken when the guy who owned it before was offroading in the snow and all of a sudden it cracked or snapped or what not... tranny fluid goes everywhere when you try putting it in gear to even move it( it wont even go into gear just leaves a puddle of tranny fluid).

also the only part that isnt cracked is the very top,the rest is completely cracked open. they said maybe it happened because there was no stabilizer bar and possible bad tranny mounts? (who knows) but either way im sure it needs replaced sooooo the cheapest and fastest place to get one would be very cool =D!!

4. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

It sounds to me more likely the transmission is cracked. The transmission is aluminum while the t-case is cast iron or steel. I had a similar problem and it was the transmission. If by some chance it isn't the transmission, then it's probably only the adapter and not the case thats cracked. Get a mechanic or someone else who is knowledgeble about these things to check it out. If it's a TH-350 transmission, then it should be fairly cheap to replace, as these are very common and easy to rebuild.

5. Hybrid3do0rcx

Hybrid3do0rcx Newbie

Any idea on how much to get the tranny fixed if that is the problem? Like a rough estimate perhaps...?
    And judging by how there is no support bar for the T-case, how would I go about getting one?
    see? im clueless. :-(

6. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

This transfer case uses 10w30 engine oil, not tranny fluid. If it's leaking tranny fluid, then it's probably a leaking tranny or someone put the wrong oil into the NP203. If it is the tranny (the TH350), I think you can buy a rebuilt one around $300.

My NP203 does have a crossmember under it and bolts to both sides of the frame. If it doesn't have it then it will only rest on the tranny, and the tranny is only supported on the engine, which would surely cause a disaster. A junkyard would be the best place to find an old crossmember. To find another NP203, just post on the parts for sale/wanted and somebody will surely offer you one. Make sure you post where you're from and your zip code so you only get posts from guys near you.

Good luck.

<font color=purple>//////
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://blazer79.coloradok5.com>http://blazer79.coloradok5.com</A></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]