Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

79 GMC jimmy with a 86 chevy cab, oil press guage ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by boggerless, Apr 18, 2004.

1. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

the old truck(79) had a brass line going in,the new one i can.t figure out.the back of the guage has three holes but none have a place for the cheap plastic line for the oil.(that i can tell).this is the last thing and the cab wireing is strait(except for the doors, thanks again MUDDYTAZ). when i pulled it apart today the guage read 15lbs,the trucks not running. after i tried to find were to put the hose and couldnt find it.i turned the key and it burried it self? WHAT THE ???? HELP. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the newer guages are electrical, the old ones had a mechanical guage from the factory. my friends 77 truck had a mechanical oil guage and hims 78 blazer had an electrical. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. boggerless

how do i hook that up? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. boggerless

what in the BLANK should i do? go with a seperate guage? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. big83chevy4x4

the electrical? you need a sender, looks like a cylinder, it screws to the block where the "cheap plastic line" comes from.

it would be better to get a meghanical guage from autozone and put it in there, they are more reliable. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. boggerless

i was just thinking, now those visegrips on the manifold have to stay a little longer. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. big83chevy4x4

did ya duct take them together so it doesnt acidently pop open?
    /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i have successfully swapped a mechanical guage from older dash into a 78 up electric oil guage dash before, took a little thinkign and customization, but worked. you could put in an aftermarket oil guage in the dahs if you get creativ, or find one from an older gm car, i have a 78 trans am one its same size as truck one pretty much,

also you have ot be careful when doing such a conversion that you dont cut into paths of the circuit board on back of the panel,
    if you stop and think then you can get creative and figure out how to get something in the dash to work for you.

good luck

9. boggerless

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif that's a good idea. now i have a new problem, the origional speedo cable was burned on the cheap ass exhaust. MFer /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. one more damn thing to buy. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. boggerless

i still have the origional dash and guages from the 79. maybe i'll try it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif