Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

79 GMC ????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Commocozy, Nov 26, 2001.

1. Commocozy

Commocozy 1/2 ton status

Ok got a few questions.

I have been a FORD man for the last few years, but have come to the realazation i need something stronger to wheel with. I have come accross a 79 Jimmy for sale with little rust and lost of extra parts.

My mail question is what do i look out for? I knwo one mail thing is the crack in the frame.

I want to drop the top, and add aftermarket bumpers. I also plan on doing a 6" lift and some fender trimming to fit 35's.

Can anyone please just give me as much info as you can so i know what i am getting into.

THANKS,
    Austin

Austin Saunton 1998 Explorer Sport, Maybe some to have 85 K5 with 400 under hood along with 400 turbo tranny.

2. COOTER

COOTER Registered Member

Glad you came to your senses about buying a Chevy.
    It dosent realy matter whats wrong with the jimmy its still better than any ford.If your worried about it take it by a shop and have them look it over.Good luck and have fun.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Rust is the biggy. Rockers, top of the rear wheel arches and the tail pan (part the tail gate bolts to). Drive train is a pretty solid. Should had a 10 bolt front (GM version of a D44) Corprate 12 bolt rear. Most with the TH350 auto tranny have NP 203's and if it's a high miler it may need a new chain ($100 plus gaskets). 79 unless a cali model have prettly limited emmisions crud. No air pump just EGR EVAP and Cats.
    35's will fit wit a 4 inch lft and fender trimming (LOTS)
    THere should be a build sticker in the glove box that will tell you what the truck rolled off the line with.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Rust is the biggy. Rockers, top of the rear wheel arches and the tail pan (part the tail gate bolts to). Drive train is a pretty solid. Should had a 10 bolt front (GM version of a D44) Corprate 12 bolt rear. Most with the TH350 auto tranny have NP 203's and if it's a high miler it may need a new chain ($100 plus gaskets). 79 unless a cali model have prettly limited emmisions crud. No air pump just EGR EVAP and Cats.
    35's will fit wit a 4 inch lft and fender trimming (LOTS)
    THere should be a build sticker in the glove box that will tell you what the truck rolled off the line with.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

5. Commocozy

Commocozy 1/2 ton status

Just wanted to thank everyone for the help and bring this back up top and see if there were any other things to look at.

I am sending a deposit for this thing in the next few days, and then wil be picking it up in the next few weeks!

who knows what i will be driving in a few weeks.
    Right now i have a 98 Explorer with 6" lift and 33's.