Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'79 Jimmy question????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5RON, Jun 17, 2001.

1. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

\'79 Jimmy question????

Scored a '79 GMC Jimmy 350/465/205 anyone know if the 350 is a 4 bolt? Aside from removing the pan, is there a way to tell? The body is a basket case and I'm taking the parts I want and trashing the rest! Anyone?

Ron

2. xtreme_wlr

xtreme_wlr 1/2 ton status

Re: \'79 Jimmy question????

Sorry, no way to tell without dropping the pan. Maybe from the casting # on the block but that is a shot in the dark at best.

78 Chevy 1 ton Stepside RockCrawler
    468 BB, SM465, NP205
    D60 front, GM 14Bolt w/ Detroit
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bowtiecrawler.com>http://www.bowtiecrawler.com</A>

3. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

If you look at the machined surface in front of the passenger side head there will be numbers stamped there. Make a note of these. There are also numbers cast in at the rear of the block on the drivers side just in front of the bellhousing. Jot these down too. Then do a search on GM casting numbers and compare your numbers to the lists on one of the multiple sites that have them, and presto chango, you'll have the stats for your motor, and know if it's original.

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

4. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

X,
    Thanks for the reply. The engine, xfer case and tranny are pulled. Just wonderin' if it's a four bolt. Prolly won't rebuild it for some time.

Thanks,

Ron

5. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

CV,
    Thanks. Will check the casting numbers. Spent all day in the garage pulling the motor and such. Is there a web site for the casting numbers?? I'll check under the grease tomorrow! Or do you mean to search C/K5?

Ron

6. mlb79

mlb79 Registered Member

Check out www.mortec.com or www.nastyz28.com. The z28 site requires a little digging through the site but worth the effort. Mortec has a great listing of casting numbers.

Mark

79 K5, 3" lift, 400 cubes of nasty

7. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

a really long time ago, i think someone told me that all truck motors were 4 bolts. but i am not sure if that is true.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think 2 and 4 bolt were used in trucks. Certainly i've never seen a 305 with 4 bolt mains although they were used extensively in trucks. The best way is to remove the pan and look. If the motor is not being used and will be built then removing the pan shouldn't be a big deal. Take it off and have a look.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>