Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'79 Jimmy sheet metal swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rd durham, Jun 13, 2004.

1. rd durham

rd durham Registered Member

\'79 Jimmy sheet metal swap

I'm picking up a 1979 Jimmy this week, that has some pretty bad rust through spots. I've located a 1987 GMC pickup in a local salvage yard that has a fairly decent front clip. I've had differing opinions as to whether the '87 sheet metal will swap cleanly to the '79 Jimmy. I've never owned a Blazer/Jimmy in the past so I'd like a little more than the off the cuff opinions I've been getting, so thought I'd ask here. Any problems with swapping this sheet metal?

2. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

Re: \'79 Jimmy sheet metal swap

well, 4 starters the body lines wont match up i believe, and i think u have to mod the fire wall to allow for the hood to close properly. i believe there may be a few other issues, look in the tech section on this site for front end swap, itll give ya more exact detailed info on this project. good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

It will fit no problem. You should do a search, I'm sure there detailed info on '81-'91 clips on '73-'80 trucks.
    I helped a friend do the swap many years ago, what I remember was cutting two slots in the top of the cowl for the hood hinges to fit it, and procument of the little brackets that hold up the wiper train grille, other than that it was a straight bolt on..
    but like a said, do a search..

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Body lines line up, no sweat, the horizontal line is lowered a litte in the front, but at the back of the clip, it lines up straight with the door line.

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Sheetmetal is more or less the same for 73-80 and for 81-87/91, but you can't (easily) swap just the quarter panels from early trucks to later or vice versa.

You need to swap the entire front clip, i.e. hood, grille and radiator support along with the quarters. Prolly best to get the wiring harness for the headlights and marker lights as well.

-- A