Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'79 Jimmy, Tailgate woes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bud, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Bud

Bud Newbie

\'79 Jimmy, Tailgate woes

I have a '79 Jimmy with a fiberglass top. I have a tailgate with a power window. My issue is that the motor for the power window is; 1) either not powerful enough to raise the window. or 2) The tailgate is missing something such as a helper spring or tentioner. Does anyone have any info on what might be the cause of my problem?

2. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

Re: \'79 Jimmy, Tailgate woes

try a search, lots of old stuff about this.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
    - General John Sedgwick (1813-1864), last words

3. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

When I pulled my 82 apart I found a couple of things that kept it from working. The motor was partly siezed due to rust and corrosion on the windings, easy fix (brush off and wd40 it). Also my cable that connects the motor to the transmission (window) had gotten water in it and was corroded, new cable. YOu can pull the cable off the motor and you should be able to turn the cable with a pair of needlenose pliers, it should turn easy. Also check to see if the motor will move without the cable on. YOu should be able to isolate the problem from there. They're easy to get to with the window up and access panel removed. The tailgate needs to be up and latched for the window to work unless the safety switch has been bypassed. If nothing works you can unplug the motor and use a voltmeter to see if you are getting any voltage to the back end (The tailgate will be the ground). The two wires to the motor should be one for up and one for down, not sure of the colors. Good luck.

Jamie

Pics at <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jlblmkh>http://community.webshots.com/user/jlblmkh</a>

(Formerly heaj1)
    Swimmin like a rock, slingin like a stock, but not for long.

4. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Also make sure the window guides are clean and not full of dirt and the inner/outer window seals are not hardened, both of which would cause binding.