Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

79 K-10 Hubs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79Silv4x4, Oct 15, 2002.

1. 79Silv4x4

79Silv4x4 Registered Member

My 79 K-10 is still a full time 203 and I'm now hearing some grinding and clicking noise coming from the hub area. I've installed lock out hubs on other trucks before, but what's behind the shiny silver cap on these hubs? If there are problems in there would it be better to rebuild/ replace that stuff or could I just swap in some manual lock out hubs and leave them in the lock position since I have no desire to convert my 203.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If you are hearing grinding noise you most probably have a bad bearing, since you don't know what is under that chrome cover I am assuming you never check the grease on it /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
    Well under the cover there is a solid hub gear that is splined on the inside and the outside, nothing that can grind or make that noise.
    If you started to hear the noise it means you can't get by with cleaning and greasing, so expect to change them, and don't drive it anymore untill you do, I toasted mine in one long trip, full day of 70-75MPH.

3. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

It might be a bad axle joint too. There's no mechanical parts in the hub on a full time truck.

It would be a good idea to pull the hub assembly anyway to check/replace and grease everything. While you're in there, don't forget to pull the spindle and grease the little needle bearings where the axle shaft rides.

/forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. 79Silv4x4

79Silv4x4 Registered Member

No iceman, I haven't checked the grease in there before. I've only had the truck a short while and don't drive it much. I'm gonna be doing ball joints & axle shaft u-joints this weekend and I was wanting to know if there's anything hub related that I should replace. I have to order most everything from the local parts house and I just want to ahve everything gathered up before I tear into it.

5. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I would suggest: hi-temp grease, new seals, new bearings, brake cleaner(for the rotor), and I believe there's another seal in the axle tube and maybe spindle. I would suggest getting a good strong set of snapring pliers that will open wide for the shaft snap ring. It is really strong and big. You will also need a spindle nut socket. And of course lots of rags.

There is a large internal snap ring that holds part of the locking hub in. The easiest way I've found to get it out is to wedge a utility knife between the snap ring and hub and then use a screwdriver to pull it out. This might be easier with a hook and pick set, but I dont have one.

When your putting the spindle nuts back on be sure to get them torqued to the right specs or they can and will back off. I had this happen to me one time cause I didnt get em tight enough. I was lucky that it just messed up my locking hub and a bearing.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well you also want to make sure you don't tighten the inner nut on the bearings too much, I did that and I fried the bearings in one day BIG BOOO BOOOO
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    Anyway, if you need further help, PM me and I will give you all the details on what you need and how to do it.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Good point Iceman. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif