Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'79 outside spare tire carrier

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NewK5Guy, Nov 9, 2001.

1. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

\'79 outside spare tire carrier

Found a fellow here selling one. Think I can get it to work on my 84? The LMC Truck catalog lists the right rear quarter panel that the tire carrier will mount to as the same for model years '79-'91. The guy selling has all the hardware so I'd only have to line up and drill. Think it will work? I REALLY want to dump this stock spare and carry a 35" spare that I have lined up.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: \'79 outside spare tire carrier

It should fit, but with a 35-inch tire and wheel hanging on it, expect it to eventually tear up the body and crack the tailgate shell. [​IMG] They didn't hold up well with just the factory sized spare. A heavier tire and wheel would just speed up the damage.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

I'm alright with putting the factory sized spare on if I have to. I'd just like to get it outside. So you say don't do it? The truck won't be crawling rocks, just maybe some sand and beach or woodsy trails. Mostly just for getting me to work in the snow. It should be ok(?)

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Most of us are going to bumper mounted spare racks to handle the oversized tires. I have a aftermarket Vally body mounted carrier and I'm sorry I ever drilled those holes. It was right after I got the truck and before I found CK5.
    I'll be scraping it eventualy.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper