Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

79 rwd corola...yea or nay????

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by supersize75k5, Mar 25, 2005.

1. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I have a chance to buy a 79 corola with 70,000 miles on it for dirt cheap!

its rwd so it sounds fun to drive and a stick...

sounds fun to me!:D

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Toyota? 1979 Corola sound wierd.....

3. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Hmm, my sister had a 79 hatchback four door. The ugliest color of yellow/brown, looked like it came out of the diaper of a sick baby. That thing was light as hell though, had fun thrashing it around till she rolled it one day.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

]

hey, well if you dont then lemme know where it is cuz ill buy it, if it really is cheap, and not "cheap"

thats the very FIRST vehicle i ever drove way back when i was 15 or so and it was owned by a girl i knew in high school and lol i still remember to this day losing control of it around a turn in rainy weather in town and putting it head on into a ditch it was funny as f*ck and it is my one and only accident ive ever had to date, and didnt even hurt the car at all, but it got stuck lol, had to have it pulled out, it was funny, these old yota cars seem to be great runners and are tough little things, the actually were real metal back then!

ahh the memories,

but uh yeah lemme know how to get hold of owner of this 79 you know of, cuz ill buy it, i wish i cold find one around here, but its been over a dcade sinc eive spotted one, they are just all gone, or they jsut didnt sell many, i didnt know one still existed, i dunno what ppl do with them all, or any other vehicles, they just disappear, they have 20R engines i know, or at least most of them, the one i speak of above was an auto trans one,

they are fun lil things, for the right type of ppl anyways, no im not a toyota person by any means at all, but some of the old ones like these corollas are pretty good daily get around town wheels, plus would be good for work travel back and forth every night,

lemme know,.,.

thanks

5. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Get it Shawn.

My mom owned one for years and only had to repalce normal wear items like brakes and starter. Never had any major repairs or breakdowns. That car was butt ugly brown but reliable as heck. She used to drive from CO to Indiana and back every few years with no trouble.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Good cars, my Mom drove a '76 for years. My first car was a 77 Corona which was like an upscale Corolla, a little bit bigger and a few more opitons. Both cars were great and ultra reliable, and being RWD and sticks they were pretty fun to drive for wha tthey were. The 20R motors in them are easy to work on and millions were made so parts are plentiful. I wish I'd kept mine, it was a cool little car.

7. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Antone have a picture? I just cant think of an old toyota car I have ever seen

8. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Best I could do.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
  9. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i'd do it and have FUN with it. drive it like a rent a car.alright enough of that,someone will get pissed at me .rent a cars are for wrecking.:blush: oops i did it.:D

10. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Kinda like an old Mazda RX-4 or a Monza... drop a 302 or 350 in there and take it to street races... I'd suggest traction bars though... they have been known to hop with more than 200hp... They can run a quarter mile with a bone stock 350 faster than most built mustangs... I've seen it done.

11. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Get it and just drive the piss out of it. You can ibeat on it all you want and it will just ask for more. Dirt simple, reliable, and fun, what more could you want?

12. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Duuude, drift car! With a 350! What are you waiting for?!

13. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

woo hoo. i'm with that!!!:D :D

14. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Buy it and give it to me!!!!!!!! I need gas mileage!!!!!!!!!!

15. supersize75k5

WELL i AM GETTING IT!

I am going to pick it up tommarow around noon, the price is way under what I spend for gas in just one month while driving the 75 :eek1:

she is an ugly 4 door but it is so retro cool I dont care :D

the bumpers are dinged up, but I found some at a yard today for cheap, the car is thankfully one color, a light blue and not to bad.

the front right fender has a ding, the doors are strait, the interior is amazingly strait except for the missing guage besel but I think I can find that too.

My plans are to just use it a few times a week or for parts running and long drives, I love driving the 75 too much to make this my main driver though. I will "try" to be nice to it and when it finally stops taking my abuse I will drop a 4.3 or maybe an old 350 in the and have me a sleeper :grin: or just sell it if it is still nice?

It will be so nice at the gas pump though :cool1: this weekend I killed a just about 45 gallons in the 75 :yikes: so I will be real happy to see double digit mpg's :woot: :saweet: :waytogo:

on a side note it looks like I will be taking over payments on my moms suburban in the next couple months when she gets her new car too :laugh: so now I will get to have a 99 suburban/454/4l80e 3/4 ton 4x4 loaded and with leather as my daily driver and tow rig :thumb:

she just needs a lift and a sane driver.... "aka not me"

[​IMG]

I wonder if I can jump the corola too.... :thinking:

16. supersize75k5

hmmmm

today i drove it, It cost I spent less then 20 bucks to top it off, inside I found 4 pairs of old shoes, one was a pair of mens shoes that was a size 13 :crazy:

other things I found..

1.98 in change
    1 sock
    5 pieces of good gum
    1 soda cap
    a new seal for something
    a new gas cap
    a new magnetic key thing
    a hanger
    a baby blanket
    a un-used suns basket ball game ticket from 1998
    a bus pass from 2000
    a hand full of cds, both burned and bought

lots of other little crap too,

oh and its a 2 door not a 4 door :laugh:

17. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I hate to think what would be found if my Datsun were gone through like that. :crazy:

18. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Exactly - drifting. You really don't need a 350, although it would be fun. Either way, sounds like a good car to drift.

19. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

So where are the pics?

20. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Dude they run good!! I bought a '79 Toyota but its a pick up...long bed. Got it from a guy in a mobile home park. Said it didnt run. Hadnt run in over a year. We hooked up a loose ground wire started it up. :grin:

Gave the dude $20 for the truck and drove home. Two weeks later I figured...hmmm...only one way to find out how 'reliable' it is. So I drove it to my aunts house and back...from Ventura, Ca to Las Vegas Nevada. Made it without ANY problems. Even was hauling a 3-wheeler on the way back. Drove great!!!!!!!!!! Best $20 I have ever spent!! :grin: :saweet: