Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'79 vs '89 Fullsize Blazer...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kia, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Kia

Kia 1/2 ton status

\'79 vs \'89 Fullsize Blazer...

I have been looking for a long time for a '79 Blazer and have even traveled to Germany to find one, but none have been any good, and now a '89 has just turned up in my paper for about 4500 USD, sound good blah, blah, blah, gonna have to wait for about 3 weeks coz the guy is out of the country at the mo.

But my question is... what are the differences between them in the engine department? I know about the fuel injection but the reason apart from wanting a '79 was that the '79 would be an easier fix if anything went wrong with it, or can I just disable / dismantle and just chuck out the electronic bits that go with the '89?

And are there many parts about for the '89, can you interchange drivetrains with older Blazers?

Any useful website on the '89?

Any help on the subject would be great.

Cheers /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kia.

2. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: \'79 vs \'89 Fullsize Blazer...

Buddy this website is a better source than the dealership! If you go with the 89, you can not disable the electronics because that will cause everything else to go haywire. The only way you can do so is to swap on a carbuerator. Given the choice, I'd go with an 86. You get quite a few advantages, save all the vaccuum lines. If I had to do it all over again, I'd go with an older one and buy a COMPLETE aftermarket fuel injection system. That way, you know it's new, and there's a warranty. All of the drivetrains will swap, but the 1st gen's i.e. 69-72 had a different width frame on it or something, so they won't quite be direct.

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

not sure of the smog laws on the other side of the pond, but I wish every day for EFI to fall from the sky and install itself on my '77 K5

Sure EFI is a bit harder to work on. But a good manual and the good people of Coloradok5.com have gotten trough just about every problem, and to top it off, we have a few "resident experts" in everything from suspension to CB wiring.

Good luck!

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

89 is a good year for the V1500 Blazer. ( they were nolonger called K5's by GM after 88) GM had revised the OD transmission and they were very dependable by 89 also.
    FI is much more echonomical to run as far as fuel. The 89 will get much better fuel millage than a 79. It's two part as too why. The FI is part 1 the Over drive transmission is part 2. With what you pay for fuel over there it would be very advantages to retain the FI. A 79 gets about 10-11mpg. a 89 on the hwy will git 16-18 in stock form.
    Yes the 89 is more complicated but you can learn that stuff and there is some VERY knowlegable folks on this site.
    Anoother advantage is the body rustproffing was MUCH better in 89.
    The only thing I don't like about the 89 is that 10bolt rear axle but it's a lot easier to change a axle if it fails then retrofit the FI and OD tranny to a older truck and far cheaper.

5. marcus

marcus Registered Member

Kia,

Nice to see another UK user on the forum...I live in Bournemouth, but am up London in the City couple of days a week with work.

I've got a 84 Diesel Blazer, I've had it for a year, and it's an fantastic truck, nice and big and dwarfs everything on the UK road (apart from some chap I've seen around in a Suburban).

Drop me an email on markiremonger@lycos.co.uk if you want to have a chat about the Blazer. Also, I'm looking into setting up some kind of K5 owners club/register here in the UK, I have seen a few of two of them around (well...two) in Bournemouth.

I paid £2400 for the truck a year ago, and it seems that the truck is increasing in value. I've seen K5s of the same age advertised for £4000+ recently.

Let me know how you get on...

Mark

6. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Holy Cow!!! I didn't know more than one Blazer existed in Western Europe. I was in Berlin Summer 2001 and saw a '73-'75 K5 in mint condition go toolin down the road! I about had a heart attack. This was before I had mine so it was even cooler to see one.

7. Kia

Kia 1/2 ton status

Thanks people...

Yeah, great info guys /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm gonna have to wait till the guy gets back into the country /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

'Big Orange' - I hope I get one that don't need any wokr on, I'm still looking for a 79, coz of the raw engine rather than one with a 'computer' as it were /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

zakk - If I do get the '89 then I will be here if anything goes wrong. The good/bad thing here in Europe is that there isn't any smog laws.

Grim-Raper - </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Try to be more vague, I'm practicing my mind reading skills.

[/ QUOTE ] ok?!?! dkllkfjjf sdf sdfffswf asfeeefffe Bad Truck ik ssdfeewf - there /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif lol

Sorry couldn't resist that (slap on wrist) anyhow, What I want to be able to do is to put in LPG when I get it so I need to find out if it's poss. with a FI engine, I'm sure it is but it's just that I wanted an engine with no complications really.

Mark WAHOOOO another UK Blazer owner /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif the register is a good idea... there is one 86 i think Blazer not too far from me here, do you belong to any clubs at the mo? I'll email you and we can chat (do you use and chat apps on your computer?)

75-k5 - where have you been /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif there are shed loads of Blazers in Europe most in Germany!!! coz of the army bases there I guess, if you wanna see some more check out this web page for lots for sale. I have even been to Holland and Germany to have a look at a few... The Dutch are nuts about American cars, I have 3 members of my family in Holland all with big A$$ cars!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kia.

8. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

79's are more better!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Shane - /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif