Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

7K # GVW trailer big enough for a blazer?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by zcarczar, Feb 6, 2005.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Im in the market for a new trailer and found a place that has just bitchin deals on trailers, but they are 7k GVW trailers and im worried that it isnt enough for the blazer and all the other crap i carry along when I go wheelin. What is everyone else running? I cant go with a 5th wheel due to cost, and I would have no place to park it.

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

How much does your blazer weigh? How much does their trailers weigh gross? My blazer weighs 5260lbs and our 2 axle 7K GVW trailer weighs about 2K gross by itself....slightly heavy but it's a flatbed and beefy. It should be fine as long as the tongue weight is at least 10%, that's 700lbs that will be on the tow rig and not the trailer. Remember, if you have a lot of gear you can always put it in the bed of the pickup to keep it off the trailer axles.

3. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Im geussing my blazer weighs at least 5k, stock its around 4800, so with the bigger rear axle, and tires alone thats 200 lbs. I need to get it wieghed before i buy my trailer, and figure out how much the trailer weighs. I know im going to be pretty close so im wondering what everyone else was towing with. I know a lot of guys run a 5th wheel which would be nice cause i could haul the samurai and blazer at the same time, but I just cant justify the cost, and i have no place to put it.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i have a k30 1 ton pickup and its well over the 5k limit so i got a 10k equipment trailer . if you can get torsion axles it rides much lower and each wheel is independent. its a smother ride.

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i towed my blazer and a LOT of extra parts and tools on a 7k trailer. it had no brakes. my cummins had NO problems stopping it, but it has larger 4 wheel disk than most. not much engine braking with the 6 speed ether due to no exhaust brake at the time. i would advise asking if they can hop up the axles for the trailer in question. most of the trailer builders i have talked to built the 7k trailers just as strong as the 10k with the exception of the axles. maybe they can swap them out for a small cost. i woldnt advise going less than 10k, but 7k is doable. i did it, but i didnt like it. now i have a trailer capable of hauling 18k plus trailer weight. i wont go back to a smaller trailer ever. i know some people dont have the choice i had, and i know i worked my ass off to get what i have, to include selling my house( ok, not the reason i sold my house, but the reason i was able to buy the trailer is because i sold the house.)

10k 20 footer is the smallest i would go for a blazer. depending on your tire size if you are runnign smaller than 37's I personaly would get a dove tail on top of that.

just my .02 worth on it. in the end, get 2 braking axles no matter what you get. also the brakesmart is what i have for a controller and i have yet to use it personaly as my dad has installed it for me and he loves it with the 32 footer behind it.
    Grant

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

A lot of people get by with a 7k trailer, but a fullsize Blazer is definitely pushing it. When my '90 was still 3/4 ton and on 35" tires with the top it weighed right at 6,000 lbs. Considering that most 7k trailers will weigh at least 1,500 you are over the limit.........though technically you can subtract the tongue weight........but in anycase you are right at the limit.

As already mentioned, the axles and tires are typically the limiting factor on the trailer so you might be able to upgrade. My trailer is an 18' 9k (weighs 2,500 lbs. empty) version and it does have a heavier frame also as compared to the 7k version.

I would strongly suggest getting brakes on both axles. When I was pricing them out it was only maybe $150 extra to get brakes on the second axle. My Chevy 2500HD has very good four wheel disc brakes but it's downright scary to try to stop without the trailer brakes turned on.

7. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

i have a 7K trailer

yes it works. and it works really well cause it was free:)
    it has brakes on one axle but i could easily add them to the second axle for a $100 or so.

the rig barely fits on it but i does.

would i have bought a 7K? NO but if thats all you can afford i say go for it.

but i you could save a little and get a 10K i would do that.

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I going to use our 20ft triple axle gooseneck for my K5. Triple 7K 8 lug axles, gooseneck weighs 5,500lbs, and still has room for at LEAST 15K more....:pimp1: :laugh: But really, if I could fit my K5 between the fenderwellson our 7K tandem flat I would use that instead. A 7K trailer SHOULD be able to handle a K5 when you calculate in the tongue weight. I would really prefer it myself. I would be dragging say 7,500lbs towing the blazer behind my Dodge Cummins, instead of 11,500lbs with the triple axle gooseneck, which is overkill really....

Actually my K5 would fit if I swapped wheels and tires, it's too wide with the boggers. But I'm too lazy and prefer the extra cost in fuel than wrestling with tires & wheels. :laugh:
    That is anothe reason why some guys prefer gooseneck trailers...they don't have fenderwells to deal with like most tandem 7K's.

[​IMG]