Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8-12" and front driveshaft

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 98sub454, Jan 24, 2003.

1. 98sub454

98sub454 Registered Member

8-12\" and front driveshaft

I am about to go buy a 74 K5 and i want to get a lift somewhere in the range of 8-12" My main question is, do you need an aftermarket driveshaft for this? Also no matter how high i go i will be running a superlift.

Also it will mainly be a mud and sand truck, and i wanted to run at least a 40" tire, maybe more, if i did the 8" how well, or would they even clear? would i need cutouts or should i just go higher. thanks
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Re: 8-12\" and front driveshaft

Yes, you will need aftermarket shafts, or have yours lengthed, both front and rear. AFA amount of lift, I have seen guys running 38's on 2 1/2" of lift and some serious fender trimming. The amount of lift you'll need will depend on whether you are willing to take a sawzall to your rig or not... I run 38's with 7" of lift and no trimming. If I were to run 40's then I'd probably have to run at least 10"-12" of lift if I didn't want to trim my fenders.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

It can start to get expensive after 6" of lift. You will defiantly need a custom driveline in the front. You might want to consider a body lift at the same time and also cutting the fenders some to make the lift part easier. I run 40's with a 6" lift, 3" body lift, cut fenders and moved the axle forward. In the mud and the sand I think I could fit 44's. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[​IMG]

4. 98sub454

yeah if i do trimming i will most likely use the bushwacker flares or something like that.

so would i be better off just getting a 6+3 and then the flares to clear 40s?

5. Ryan2286

Ryan2286 Registered Member

I'd say no, on the 6+3. Everyones running that. your driveshafts are getting a little short at six inches any way and so are your brake lines and you will for sure need steering modifications. So why not do it the way you want to right away. If you have nice fenders and want to keep them lift it high enough so the rubber won't rub. I would say run either an eight inch lift with springs in front shackle flip and springs rear and a 2 inch body. Or go to a ten right away and run 44's and see if you need to get the body higher. Either way get a dropped drag link and raised steering arm and brake lines and of course driveshafts.

6. Sandman

It all depends on what you want I suppose. I wanted to keep a somewhat flexy suspension so I capped it at a 6" lift. I still ran the 40's but they would hit the firewall now and then. So I put on the body lift and moved the axle. You can go as high as you want if you have the cash.

7. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

You'd probably end up doing some minor trimming for flex-while-turning.

You can run the stock front driveshaft if you modify it so it'll flex more (time to get out the die grinder). I suggest keeping a spare driveshaft with you. That's what most guys on a budget seem to do. It's probably what I'll end up doing. Not everyone can pay for overpriced driveshafts.

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

Superlift SUCKS.
    last I heard the springs are now made in India.
    when I bought them they were made in CANADA.
    the front springs are too short.
    the reason they designed them that way is to use the stock short shackles.
    they should have just included shackles that were the correct length and built springs properly as the resultant angle on the front shackles is terrible.
    pretty much the cheapest springs you can get.

9. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

YEP my 12" front superlift's where made in india.

dave

10. 98sub454

ok so what lift would you guys reccomend in the 6" to 10" range?

11. Sandman

If your looking for soft go with the Tuff Country. They only go up to 6" though. Syjacker builds a decent 8" spring. After that I would have said superlift but now I'm not so sure.

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I think custom lifts are the only way to go.
    I think some lift springs from another application and move the hangers would get you there.
    a 48" long spring just doesnt have the length to work well with that much lift IMO.
    I would bug tRusty or anyone else on here to see what his thoughts are on using some ford 57" long springs in the front of a chev to see if a set of 6-8" ones would raise a chev that high.
    more work but the results will be more what you want in the long term.
    if you decide to run the superlifts I would disassemble the pack and remove the shortest leaf and drill the tips of all the leaves for plastic wear pads before I bolted them to the truck
    add shackles that are at least 3/4" longer then stock(any lift springs need this"

13. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Put a crowbar in your wallet and buy some Nationals!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. 98sub454

haha, the crowbar has already been there, thats how im gettin the truck in the first place.

i need something else to beat up on since i dont want to destroy my sub and i want a nice big mud truck.

the more i look into it the more i am leaning towards a 6" and then a body lift later. then just hack up the fenders if i need to. it would be really nice to have a truck on 44s though /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

for now it looks like im gonna get a 6" and some 36" hummer tires on some black (most likely fake) beadlock wheels. what do you guys think?

15. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

did you ever think about axle's? /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

16. 98sub454

yes, those will come as these break, its not a daily driver so im not in that big of a hurry for anything like that yet. if i come across a deal i will pick up a 14 bolt and d60.

17. 98sub454

ok i did a little more research and now im pretty set on an 8"

so i am basically back to my original question, can i just lengthen the driveshafts or do i need a high angle shaft for the front and rear?

also how do you guys feel about the lift shackles from hill 4 wheel drive?

18. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

8" makes for ugly front driveshaft angles
    the joint at the dif will want to spit out under load.
    axle wrap will add to the problem.
    you can carry spare shafts or spend the $$ to get the front axle turned.
    High Angle driveshafts will do nothing to alleviate the front shaft problems at the dif end IMO as the shaft isnt the problem

19. 84K5BD

84K5BD 1/2 ton status

I've got 8 in. skyjacker springs in front. you will need a high clearance shaft for front and a c.v. shaft for the rear to keep the angles in check. i wouldn't use the hill shackles with the 8's, your front shaft will never tolerate the angles unless you went to a doubler to bring the angles back in place or you went with a h.p.60. i like the 8's nice ride and very good flex for an 8 in. spring besides now i have more room when i upgrade to 44's this spring. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif