Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8" - 12 " lift kits

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bcontractor, Feb 7, 2003.

1. bcontractor

bcontractor Newbie

8\" - 12 \" lift kits

Hello,I want to put a lift kit on my '87 blazer and use 38"-44" tall tires. I will be using the truck on the street and in the snow .I wont be heavy wheeling .I already have a donor 1 ton with 14bff and a dana 60f that will go under at the time of lift.I dont want to do ANY fender triming!!! What brands are good ?....Is anyone using this much lift and what are the problems with the drive lines and steering ???I want to use no body lift kits ..ANY pics are good too !!! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Thanks, Glyn

2. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

Re: 8\" - 12 \" lift kits

If you look at my truck, I have 39" tires and 11.5" of lift. Your driveshaft won't need to be lengthened, since you are getting a 14ff, and the pinion sticks out much farther, i am having mine cut to stock length right now as i speak, you'll have some steering linkage to deal with and will need two new driveshaft yokes or conversion u-joints- but it sounds good, and good luck with the lift. I say 12" Swamprunner for 44s no trimming- but if you wheel it hard, you'll ned to trim- and once you get it lifted trust me, you WILL wheel it, people will get on your case until you do. you may want to drop your transfer case as well.
    Good luck

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

there is no 12" off the shelf lift that is any good.
    the factory front springs are too short.
    the factory front shackles are too short.
    the swamprunner tries to use the factory shackles, to get the springs to not hit the frame too hard they make the springs even shorter then they should leaving you with a brutal shackle angle.
    better way would be to find a longer spring from another app that you can make fit

4. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I am running 9" of suspension lift with 38"s. Things I ran into are:
    1) A ujoint is not made to operate at the angle a 12" lift will need. You will have a terrible vibration in the rear shaft and your ujoints will go out fast. You can fix this with a www.highangledriveline.com CV shaft. I tried the caddy CV and still had a slight vibration, mainly due to an incorrect angle. This may work for you. I am running a 241 with a SYE and a 1350 CV from HAD.
    2) The front CV is not made to operate at the angle that a 12" lift requires. It would NOT work with 9" of lift, even with the stops ground off. I also bought the 1350 CV from HAD for the front to fix this. I am also running 4 degree shims to help with the pinion angle. This will cause the steering to wonder slightly. If you go to 44" it will exagerate the steering wondering.
    3)All brake lines will be too short.
    4)You may want to go with a cross-over steering set-up and a WTO hydro-assist kit.

I am running the BDS springs and love them. If you run a shackle flip in the rear, doing this will enable you to run smaller lift springs and you will have a better ride.

Just an FYI. I had to trim my fenders and move the axle forward to run the 38"s.

5. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Do it right, spend the bucks and get a set of National springs and run longer front shackles. The Nationals flex REAL good, and a longer front shackle is MANDATORY, at least they were for me, as my 12" Nationals hit the frame very readily with stock shackles, even on the street!! /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

6. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

How did it hit your frame? Like the leaf spring gets compressed enough to hit the frame? or the shackel moves and the tip of the spring hits the frame?

7. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

He's talking about the shackle end of the front spring moving back and the top of the spring eye hitting the frame. You correct this buy using slightly longer shackles that you can purchase from ORD.

8. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Even my ORD shackles were hitting!!! I went to even longer shackles made from 1/2" stock. And yes, that was from compression.

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I would appreciate any close up images you could get of the springs and front suspension on that truck.
    I looked at the one image in webshots but it isnt close enough.
    thanks

10. 98sub454

98sub454 Registered Member

i just finished my 76 that i just bought. i put a 10" and 40s and it clears well. i dont expect to ever have rubbing problems. and my driveshafts did need to get lengthened. i think your year has a different setup in the front as far as the driveshaft so your situation may be different. the rear is ok but its very close to being to steep of an angle. i am very happy with the truck. the ride is a little stiff but i can deal with it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

might wanna get some 1.5" blocks ore something, you gotta little saggage back there. . .but it looks great. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. stumpjumper

stumpjumper Registered Member

by getting longer front srings wont that move the front axle closer to the inner fender creating more rubbing problems unless the spring mount is off center , i have skjacker 8 inch springs and i installed a 8 degree shim under them to roll my pinion angle way up , and then made longer shackles to roll the pinion back down and in the process it freed up alot of movement and it moved the front axle foward a little over an inch so it clears the inner fender with ease now and the ride is alot better than my friends truck with 12 inch superlift springs and stock shackle set up

13. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

Hey 98sub454 thats one bad ass truck you have there. How well does that lift do offroad?

14. 98sub454

98sub454 Registered Member

dont know yet, ive only had the lift on for a few days and havent been able to get out anywhere yet. ill let you know when i get out there and test it.

15. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

The poser line is over there.

16. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The poser line is over there

[/ QUOTE ]
    Come on, quit being so harsh. He didn't say he wanted a 12" lift and wants to rockcrawl it on 44s with 10 bolts.
    This isn't pirate. If you don't think it's a good idea, just say so or keep quite. No reason to jump someone.

My opinion of 12" lift springs - very stiff and not of much use. If you have the cash, get custom springs.
    You might be better off with a body lift in addition to lift springs. I don't like them, but they do what they are designed to do and with keep you from having to cut fenders. 3" is the max and don't let anyone tell you different.

-- Mike

17. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

going down to 8" springs and using bds or skyjacker will give a lot better ride than superlift, use a 3 inch body lift if you need some more clearance, if you don't want to do any trimming i would stick with 38's, i know that 40" boggers will hit on the above combo if you wheel it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

btw, sample, are you getting lonely in that line /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. jackedjimmy350

jackedjimmy350 1/2 ton status

pose this... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    [​IMG]

19. stumpjumper

stumpjumper Registered Member

if you need more than 8 inches you can get more lift real easy and still keep the better ride of the 8 inch springs , here is a link to a few pics of my truck , the first few are with 8 inch skyjacker springs and a 3 inch body lift running 42s , the last few are still using the 8 inch springs but after shimming and reshackling it , as you can see it gave me alot more clearence , http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/briggs380/lst?&amp;.dir=/My+trucks&amp;.src=ph&amp;.begin=17&amp;.view=t&amp;.order=&amp;.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/briggs380/lst%3f%26.dir=/My%2btrucks%26.src=ph%26.view=t

20. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I've run 10" Superlift springs on my dually for 13 years now...they ride like crap. To me, any spring over 8" should be custom made with lots of skinny leafs (10+) to make the ride and flex better. I have 12" National springs all round on my Suburban, and they ride as good as any 4" "softride" spring out there, as well as flex like crazy! Superlift will give you the height, but at the expense of ride and flex.