Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8.1L swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazin383, Sep 26, 2006.

1. blazin383

blazin383 Newbie

I have recently aquired a 2003 8.1L motor and want to put this into 1987 Blazer with th400 transmission. Anyone done this swap? What is involved? I am a good Wrench and have shop with all the good stuff and more if i need. Really Looking to try this any help would be great

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

RyanB can help you, hopefully he see's this post

3. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

I rode in Kevins (RyanBs boss :haha:) crew cab that has that transplant in it. Its a nice motor and I would love to have one in my rig. :bow:

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

whats involved? um a lot. but the only thing good i can tell you is the tranny should bolt up. :wink1:
    2003 8.1 is drive by wire.
    are you going to get a new harness, or rework yours?
    did you get the factory computer (green and blue connectors) and harness? ALDL connector also? drive by wire module ? pedal assembly?
    Did you want to adapt the bcm to your vehicle and keep the cruise control or keep the satellite radio tuner and Onstar while your at it? :p:
    you'll need to get someone to flash your computer, eliminate what you don't need, might as well get a performance tune and delete some of the torque management out of the pcm also. :wink1:
    check the link in my sig.. we specialize in vortec/ls1 engine swaps, and can probably help you with some of that.

5. blazin383

blazin383 Newbie

Ryan B you seem Knowledgable on this subject so i shall ask some more. I will most likely get a new harness(any ideas). No I did not get the computer. pedal assembly or anything else(any ideas). I do have it in good at local junk yard (I.E. what me say me want me gets). so if there is specific parts i need to look for at yard any help would be great. Side Note i went to web link contact info not visible. This is a project that got the go ahead from the woman so im only doing the gentelmenly thing and going ahead with it.

6. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

Its a popup so make sure you have any pop blockers turned off.

7. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thats where it starts to get expensive.
    Got a good deal on an 8.1L engine, but now you need all the little things to make it actually work. You needed to get everything else out of that truck you got the engine.
    But since you didn't heres what i think will work..
    You need a green and blue plug computer out of an 03-04 chevy truck and have it programmed with 8.1L parameters. If you can get a factory harness, and send it out to have it reworked it will save you some bucks compared to buying a whole new harness.
    You will need a pedal assembly and a couple of modules to make the drive by wire work..
    I'll have to do some more research but you might be able to use any genIII (4.8/5.3/6.0) truck harness on your 8.1L. they are very similar.
    I need to look at a few things, but if thats the case, I might be able to set you up with a factory harness that i rework for 4 wire hookup in any vehicle, pedal, and computer package ready to rock on your engine, everything your missing. PM me if your interested.