Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8.2 L Detriot ?s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Judd, May 2, 2004.

1. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

Does anyone have any experience with the 8.2L Detroit Diesel? I'm looking at buying a 1981 GMC C6000 to use as my car/truck hauler. I'm going to be useing it to haul around 6000-8000lbs either in the bed or with a trailer. The 6000lbs in the bed would be my K5 if I can figure out some ramps to get it up on there. The trailer would be a two car hauler with a max of around 8000lbs. The vehicle has around 250K on it {mostly a farm truck}, it looks rough inside and out but it's cheap {2000$} and it appears to run well.

I've heard alot of bad stories about these diesels. I can understand that it may not be "The best" diesel out there but will it suite my needs well? In other words, is the 8.2L Detroit like the 6.2L in light trucks??? Decent engine, as long as you don't ask for more than what was originally intended for it???

Am I being realistic when I'm thinking about throwing my Blazer up on the back of the C6000?

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated as I know absolutly nothing about these trucks and I need to make up my mind pretty quickly.

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I would not get it those engines are a pile of chit. If You want a diesel get one with a Cat engine or find an International with a DT 466.
    I drive a tow truck and have driven quite a few diffrent engine tranny combos. If You want something to haul around Your Blazer I would get a Chevy C50/60/70 slide bed with either a 366 or a 427 and either 4 or 5 speed tranny and a 2 speed rear end.
    The reason I recomend a gas engine is cost. If You ever had to replace a diesel engine it would cost $$$$$ while a replacement gas engine can be had for around $2000. Also law enforcement is not real keen on someone just useing any truck to haul another vehicle around in. Get one of those big truck and equipment trader books there are lots of good deals in them as companys are always upgradeing their fleets.

3. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

Those C-6000's came with 366's in alot of box trucks. Find one and rip the box off. ebay motors is a excellent spot.

4. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

Welp, looks like I was barking up the wrong tree. I figured that as long as the GVW was under the limit, I could haul bout anything as long as is was mine and wasn't a too large {too tall or too wide} and it was secured well.

Anymore opinions on the 8.2L diesel???

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

they make some screaming pulling motors(dirt pullers). It is seriouslly impressive to hear one of those things screaming RPMs, and I'm not talking 3000, oh no I mean screaming for a gas motor.