Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8" all spring on 75 k-10 LWB??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigjblazer, Sep 11, 2002.

1. bigjblazer

bigjblazer Registered Member

8\" all spring on 75 k-10 LWB??

Can I just drop the T-case like 2 inches or so to keep the anlges decent? Anyone runnin' like this?

2. blwnbwtie

blwnbwtie Registered Member

Re: 8\" all spring on 75 k-10 LWB??

i know someone with a 6" on a K5 and he did a transfercase drop to help the angles not sure how much of a drop he did though.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I had an '86 K20 with 8" front and rear Skyjacker springs once. Did not have to drop the t-case either. Sold these springs to Blzr4x4ngkid and sold the truck to another party.

4. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

i ran this setup and dropped my transfor case 1 1/4"s worked fine for me.

dave

5. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I have 8" skyjacker springs on the front of my 79 K10 one ton. In the rear I have a shackle flip, add a leaf, and 4" blocks. My Tcase is not lowered. The angles are not ideal, but eventually I'll get a cv driveshaft for the rear and it will be all good. For now it works fine. I replace my ujoints about every year or so. Your angles will be better because of your longer driveshaft.

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

The big problem with dropping the crossmember or not depends on what tranny/t-case combo you have.

If you have the 465 tranny, the front driveshaft is gonna be the shortest of any tranny and will/can cause binding in the cv joint.

If the 350 tranny is there, its a little longer than the 465 and the driveshaft is also slightly longer, too.

But if you have the 400 turbo, its longer than the other tranny's, and if the truck has the 205 t-case, the shaft will be longer yet.

Unless you hook up a 208 t-case, the shaft on the 400/208 are the longest and allow for the best clearance on the cv joints. Lowering the crossmember is not required for this setup.

7. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

79Beast also has a high angle CV front driveshaft. With a conventional cv driveshaft and the 465 tranny, the angles are too much unless you lower the t-case, in which case it still might have too much angle.

Will