Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8 and 10 point roll cages

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kodiak, Aug 18, 2000.

1. Kodiak

Kodiak 1/2 ton status

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

The web site sure looks good! I know, you get one and tell us how ya like it.....[​IMG] Other than shipping they seem pretty reasonable.

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

3. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

the cages look cool, and maybe i'm wrong....but are'nt roll cages...(good cages) more expensive than that?
    Kelboski

4. Kodiak

Kodiak 1/2 ton status

I would think they would be as good or better than the 4 or 6 point cage smittybilt makes. I would just like to see one in a blazer before I get one. Smittybilt uses 2X.120 pipe and swracecars uses 13/4x.134 Is that a big difference in strength?

http://kodiak.coloradok5.com

5. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

seems like that would make a big difference. what are the prices on the Smittybuilt cages....they're pretty well known...just curious....
    Kelboski

6. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

The interior roll bar (4pts.) runs about $160. And the weld in cab kit(adds 2pts around the front seats) is about $90. Check out Bruce Hines' rig on the pics page.

BLAZE IT UP!!!

7. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Roll cage kits usually aren't too expensive because it's just a bunch of bent tubes with the ends notched. If it were already welded together then it would be expensive. Those kits from S&W are for cars, if you put one in a K5 you would have a heck of a time climbing into the seat since the bars run down the sides. The back seat would be completely unusable because of the cross members. I've been waiting to get a kit from Smittybilt but last I heard they were back-ordered for 3 months. Try going to a local race shop and see if they can bend a cage for you, that's what I'm probably going to do. I know someone who got a cage bent for $75 after he bought the tube and let the shop have the truck for the afternoon to take measurements, then he welded it himself.

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy

8. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

what style cage would you get so that the back seat is usable, and there is no trouble getting in and out of the front seats?

9. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Oops, I just took another look at that site and found the cages for the K5's. Too bad the only pics they have are of the car kits, I'd like to see how they build their truck cages.

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

If you took out that bar that restricts using the back seat, it would take away from the strength of the cage. That bar prevents the main hoop from collasping when in a roll over. Without it you just have a beauty bar. Granted, it's rare for a K5 to roll completely over, but why get a cage that cant protect you very good in a real rollover.

[​IMG] Sept 1

11. Kodiak

Kodiak 1/2 ton status

After seeing what happened to that jeep in Colorado, I think I need a roll cage even more.

Someone has to have an opinion on these cages. What do you think? Are they strong enough?

http://kodiak.coloradok5.com