Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8'' and 42''s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dustinellis, Dec 24, 2003.

1. dustinellis

dustinellis Registered Member

8\'\' and 42\'\'s

i wanna run 42"s on a 8" lift,anyone got pics of how much to cut how they fit,what they hit,im thinking of moving the axle forward 2-3 inches to keep em out of the floorboard, anything will help.

2. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    Re: 8\'\' and 42\'\'s

Well, this is 6" and 42's...so cut less than this. (only rear is cut)
    [​IMG]

I used Yunit's dimensions for the cut. Search yunit on the member galleries, and it'll come up. I still have to move my axle forward yet.

3. dustinellis

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, this is 6" and 42's...so cut less than this. (only rear is cut)
    [​IMG]

I used Yunit's dimensions for the cut. Search yunit on the member galleries, and it'll come up. I still have to move my axle forward yet.

[/ QUOTE ]how do you plan on doing it,is yunit's axle moved, it look as if the front hanger was moved.i like the setup does it have a body lift,what size spring?

4. dhdescender

[ QUOTE ]
    how do you plan on doing it,is yunit's axle moved, it look as if the front hanger was moved.i like the setup does it have a body lift,what size spring?

[/ QUOTE ]

I cut my rear to exactly as he spec'd it. The front I'm moving my axle to the forward spring hanger, and taking slightly less of the back of the fender than he has.

In the picture only the rear was cut, and the axle is in the stock location.

That blazer is 6" spring lift, no body lift, just new daystar poly mounts.

I'm also trying to retail the inner fenders. Won't know how that goes until i get a forklift.

5. dustinellis

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    how do you plan on doing it,is yunit's axle moved, it look as if the front hanger was moved.i like the setup does it have a body lift,what size spring?

[/ QUOTE ]

I cut my rear to exactly as he spec'd it. The front I'm moving my axle to the forward spring hanger, and taking slightly less of the back of the fender than he has.

In the picture only the rear was cut, and the axle is in the stock location.

That blazer is 6" spring lift, no body lift, just new daystar poly mounts.

I'm also trying to retail the inner fenders. Won't know how that goes until i get a forklift.

[/ QUOTE ]
    what do you mean ,move it to the forward spring hanger?

6. dhdescender

Take a look under your chev. Look at the front spring hanger. 4 rivets hold it on. Look just ahead of the hanger...see another pair? Well the distance is equal between all these rivets, you can simply grind off the 4 your using and move the hanger 1.25" forward and bolt it back on.

I suppose "spring hanger location" would have been better...

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I would say it's not quite that easy.

The curve is wrong and there will be a gap at the ends. Sort of like a rocking chair, not good at all. I used a body adjustment tool (12 lb sledge) to make the curve fit. Then attached it using 4 G8 1.25" x 3.8 zinc plated bolts with lock washers, hardened flat washers, and crimp lock nuts to hold everything in place. Then I fully welded front and rear of the hanger, followed by welding up the little "U" shape that goes between the bolts. But then I often have to grind those up a rock face to get up on a shelf...

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

5" of lift and 39.5's

[​IMG]

My rears are cut like Yunit's, the front you can see pretty good in the pic. My front diff has been moved forward about 1.25".

Rene

9. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Looks nice tRustyK5 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif That gives me an idea of how I'll look with 39.5" Boggers and 5" of lift. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

10. dustinellis

think im gunna get some 52" rears 51" actualy measured , move the hanger forward 2" which gives me a good angle on the shackle and moves the axle forward an inch.

11. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Do a search for some of my posts and find the pics. I have 4" of lift and 40's.

I cut out both front and rear fenders and the front axle is moved forward 1.5"

Get just a tad of rubbing on the front at full stuff in a turn. Just reminds me that those big ole meats are there.

Glenn