Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8 axle bolts for 14ff. wierd huh?? HELP!!

Discussion in 'Parts & Trucks Wanted' started by camarossguy2, Jun 7, 2005.

1. camarossguy2

camarossguy2 1/2 ton status

I bought an 14 bolt ff axle missing a shaft and the bolts the hold the shaft on. Now i got the shafts but dont have the bolts for that side.

Dealer here cant get them for a resonable price, none at the junk yard, so just hopin i could get some help.

Anyone readin this next time you go to the junk yard, could you knock off 8 for me?

Thanks

:edit:
    Got some. there was an illegally parked out of state van infront of work today. Now its an illegally parked van with 8 less axle bolts :D

Double checked, bolts from hardware stores with shoulders do not have a large enough OD to hold the axle correctly. the factory bolts shoulder is noticebly larger.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2005
  2. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think there was a post about this a few days ago, and if I remember right they're just 9/16 grade 8 bolts. :xmas: If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

You can pull one off of the other side and bring it into a hardware store and match it up to the closest grade 8 bolt you can find, then buy 8 of them.

4. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

They are just 1/2" Grade 8 bolts. :)

5. 85Blazer

85Blazer Registered Member

I have some I'll give you. Just pay the shipping. PM me.

6. camarossguy2

I went to do that but i dont think it will work

Sure the bolts will thread and tighten, but the "shoulder" is different, even from shouldered bolts from the hardware store.

Look at the bolts for the axel, they have a very thick shoulder. Its OD if = to the ID of the axle shaft holes. with out it being so tight the axle would be able to rotate som. The bolts from the hardware store, the shoulder's OD was a couple thousands smaller then the stock bolts. thats why i was looking for stock bolts.

Hope i didn't confuse anyway, but see what im saying?

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

contact these guys...

http://www.vancouverbolt.com/

measure everything about the bolt before you do. If its known to man, they have it or can get it.

j

8. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

This is true. If all else fails and you can't get any from here or the 'yard, just mix and match. Use 4 OEM and 4 hardware store bolts per side. 4 bolts with the proper shoulder should be enough to locate the axle.

9. camarossguy2

Well right now i have 4 in each side, nothing in the others. Im sure 4 are plenty srong enough for a stupid TBI, but i will get the rest soon....guess i will just keep checkin in to the junkyard... (btw fords and dodge dont fit)