Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8 hours later- the brake lines are installed- BUT

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MudNurI, Mar 2, 2003.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I remember now WHY I should have just paid someone to replace these!....

We got them all on- inline has a good set- cept the rear line- should be in 3 pieces instead of 2 - the front end of it- is a b*tch to get up under the frame rail- with 4 feet hanging off the other end- if they'd have made it in 3 pieces- would have been a DREAM.

the Procomp SS lines were the easiest part- if any of you have lifted your truck and not put these one- do it- 10 minutes..done..(did these myself /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

I got the interior put back in while there were wrenches being thrown around the garage...figured it was safe inside.

We didnt adjust the timing- or the carb...or put the two body mounts in that havent been in for 2 years.....

and now for the REAL kicker- the damn lines wont bleed...nada- zip- zilch- zero- nothin....after 1/ 2 hour of screwin with it- decided to call it a night....left everything where it was- loaded the kids in the /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif and headed home...............

if this is any indication of how driving it to Tellico is going to be....um expect me to show up in the /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

Brandy

2. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who comes up with "iisues" (lack of a better word ) when I work on my Blazer...
    Congrats on the Brake lines though...

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Pull your bleeders out completely and let gravity do the work...while the bleeders are out take some small wire and make sure there is no blockage anywhere in the bleeder.

Every time I couldn't get my brakes to bleed it was a bad bleeder screw.

Rene

4. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

thanks rene- will do....I hope its something as simple as that!

Brandy

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

As Rene stated, pull the bleeders and let it gravity bleed (messy). I NOW (see story below) put a bunch of cardboard down at each wheel and drive onto it to absorb most of the fluid.

I've noticed that when replacing lines and threading new ones, you tend to loosen "junk" that has built up around the fittings. This stuff can (and will) make its way to the bleeders. The holes in the bleeders are fairly small and can gum up preventing bleeding from happening.

The first time I gravity bled mine I made a huge mess. I opened the bleeders and nothing came out for 20 minutes. I went inside for the night (forgetting the bleeders were still open). When I came out the next morning there were four puddles (all different amounts of fluid) on the floor ( /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif ). Live and learn I guess.

6. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

We're going to head over this morning and pull the bleeders. John also believes that the front passenger SS line is leaking. Gonna pull it off and see if theres dirt or anything in the fitting.. He didnt want to say anyhting yesterday- as I was mad enough about the bleeding issues.

If after today this doesnt work- we'll send it to a shop and have it power bled. Heck- its already been on a flat bed once this week- whats twice.

On a good note- all the trim is back inplace. my door panels etc. are back on- so the truck looks a bit more finished on the inside. Here's a thought- if you dont have to take the trim off your inside- the pieces that run along the roof- DONT...cause there a real PIA to put back on.

I'll be back on this afternoon to let you all know just how much fun I had today!

Brandy