Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8 inch life and pratical tires?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by spongeidys, Aug 31, 2005.

1. spongeidys

spongeidys 1/2 ton status

im a new member and have a 86 k20, its lifted 8 inches, stock axels(10 bolt front 14 rear) this is my first project ;D was wondering what that most pratical tire size would be, around here there is a nice balance of mud and rocky trails but rocky trails is more easily accesable was wondering what the best tire size would be, i mainly wanted to run 38's 38/12.50 or 38/14.50 but ive been questioning that lately any input on sizes would be welcome ;D

2. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

38's on half ton stuff = snapped front axles as soon as you get on it good. I have 38's on mine until i put the 60 under it, however, putting in an axhole-- doesn't take me long :) kind of like putting oil in at this point

3. spongeidys

what about 3/4 ton stuff? i plan on getting a d60 and a 10.5" 14 bolt as soon as i can track some down near me but for now ill have to live with the 10bolt and 9" 14bolt

4. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I run a 3/4 ton D44 with 36 in tires with no problems (it is a D44hd) but you know me, I love using the stupid pedal :D

5. spongeidys

so....i wanna know if running 38/14.50's with an 8 inch lift on 15x10 eaton beadlocks with 3" back spaceing will cause a clearance problem in the steering and is it really worth going wider? i only ask cause i will be ordering my tires in the next week and have nothing to fab up or no idea how to measure for these things

6. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Your stock push/pull steering wont like the 38's very much. You might want to look into upgrading when you swap axles. I think the 38/12.5 look to skinny when that tall. You also wont get the floatation of a 14.5 or wider tire. Unless your wheeling in something you want to dig down in. The 14.5 inch wide tires should be okay, you may need to do some fender trimming. Right now my 73 K20 is lifted about 5.5 inches with 35's cuz Im using it to tow/haul and couldnt afford the bigger meats. When I do step up to 38-39 inchers I just plan on going crazy with the sawzall, and going to cross over stearing or hydraulic. Just make sure you research everything you plan to do and you'll enjoy it. And dont forget to throw a locker in at least the rear!!!!
    :wink1:

7. spongeidys

never thought of the steering stress much what are their in the ways of upgrading the steering on a 10bolt?

8. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

If you plan on upgrading to a D60 in the future I would just live with the push pull steering that is on there. You could do hydro assist and then just weld new ram mounts onto your new axle when you get it I suppose? I would definately get either a weld on or bolt on steering box brace though with tires that big, I put both on my truck. I have 38x13R16 TSL swampers but I dont have any pics of them, I will try and get some tonight. They are skinny but i think they look good, however I have not had them on the truck yet :doah: .

9. spongeidys

i guess i can live with the steering then again who knows the truck prolly wont move till next summer but im getting the brand new tires this week, free i might add :eek1: and now im just trying to figure out what i want and its driveing me crazy, since its a complete skyjacker ez ride kit im not sure how much flex it will have but i think it will be decently stiff and im not sure how the springs will settle with a 454 sitting in it