Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8 inch lift rear diff angle ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dheavychevy38, Sep 22, 2003.

1. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 1/2 ton status Premium Member

what degree shim are most of you running in the rear of your k5's with 8 inch suspension lifts????
    I took my lift off my fullsize pickup and it doesn't seem to be a good angle for a k5

2. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 1/2 ton status Premium Member

does anyone run a welded 10 bolt ?

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

It's TWO, TWO, TWO posts in one! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The shims tend to be real specific to the truck, there's so many combinations of transfer cases and t-cases with different kinds of outputs etc that there is no one magic answer. Figure out what your angles are on the t-case output and the axle yoke, that will tell you what angle shim you need, if any.

Welded 10 bolts are bad juju, they break often enough when they're open. This is especially true for you if you're running tires big enough to warrant 8 inches of lift./forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I definitely wouldn't weld a rear 10 bolt. If the shaft breaks you could die, something about that wouldn't want me to weaken the axle.

Front? Why not. As long as you don't mind not being able to steer, it might not be that bad.