Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8 inch lift steering corrections

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ramses, Oct 5, 2005.

1. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

Im gathering all my parts for my 8 inch lift that im gonna put on when I put my 60 in and I need to know what I will need to correct the steering. Ive found several different parts to do it for a Dana 60 but I dont know which ones I should get. There is an adjustable "S" draglink that is good for 4 inch lifts, a 2 inch drop pitman arm, and a 2.5 inch steering block. Am I missing anything? I know crossover steering is the only way to do it right but that will have to wait for a while. Are there any other parts I havent seen? Which ones should I get? I guess ill have to have the drag link, but should I get the steering block or pitman arm? Would the drag link and block work?

2. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

I'd definitely combine the steering arm raise with the drag link. Do a little on each to keep the original geometry close to stock

3. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

Before you plop down the dough on the steering correction pieces, research the x-over a little closer, It doesn't have to be as expensive as you think. If it's within 100 buck of the corrections that you'll make and then trow away later, it may be well spent. IMO

Sector shaft (cheap from a pic-n-pull $5-$30)
    Pitman arm (search, there are some factory piece that can be adapted $10-$15 at pic-n-pull)
    Steering arm ( ~100 bucks)
    Draglink (can be made from a used tierod or from dom tubing $25-$100)

You don't need high-steer in most cases.

4. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

This is for a daily driver truck so it needs to be done right, I think im gonna try the 2.5" block with the drag link. I would convert to crossover but its not in the budget right now, maybe later. I dont twist my truck up a lot so I dont absolutely have to have it, I just need it to steer good on the road. Although I would like to find out how much crossover would cost me. Im not too familiar with it but I thought I would have to have a 2wd steering box and different steering arms. Can anybody give me a parts list for crossover with prices? And also anymore opinions on what I should try on it right now would be helpful too.

5. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 1/2 ton status Premium Member

do the cross over i drive mine everyday and with the 8 inch lift and steering corrections it sucked. When i got the cross over it's like night and day it's well worth the money and the effort.

6. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

After a few minutes on teh 4whel parts site i found that

an adjustable s draglink runs @ $140
    a drop Pitman arm runs @ $100
    and a Steering block for a D60 runs @ $100

So either way you go you're looking at At least $250

My crossover kit from SKY-Manufacturing was $350
    plus my $20 pick and pull steering box.

So its up to you, i wont tell you wht to do but $400 now or $650-700 in the long run.

7. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You should go with a combination of the drop pitman arm, and the raised steering block...then use a straight factory drag link. Forget the drop drag link. The "dropped drag link" subject has been hashed out on this site many times, and the consensus is...dropped drag links SUCK because they increase bump steer.

You could also consider the cross-over steering though. One way to save money on a cross-over system is to get a junk yard two-wheel drive steering gear box, and rebuild it yourself. Make sure you get one from a truck that has not had heavy front end damage from a crash.

8. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

ive got a 4" drop draglink in the axle for sale section if ur interested. i have 8" lift and ran 4" raised arm (10b) plus 4" draglink, never had a problem with bump steer. im sellin my steering cuz im goin with a lil more lift and cross-over.

i went that route cuz it was cheaper. u could do this and then sell the parts when u eventually get x-over.

9. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

this is probably the easiest and best way to go for your situation.

10. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

I may just go ahead and go with the crossover, I need a list of every part I will need though so I know what im getting myself into. I know I need a 2wd steering box, thats about it. Pictures would be helpful if anybody has any. Id like to just be able to buy a whole kit to do it with everything but the steering box, but I dont know if anybody has something like that or not.

11. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

12. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

total kit

I just bought a kit for the 8in lift we are installing. Everthing included except steering box for 350.00 aprox {cant find the receipt at the moment}. I went with Tim at Shakerbuilt.com . He drilled the holes for the eventual high steer conversion.