Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8 inch lift who;s got-em ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4x4k20, Jan 29, 2003.

1. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

i am looking for some pics.. i have got a 4inch lift now / was going to a 6 but now thinking about an 8 inch instead /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

mine started out as an 8. i removed the bottom leaf, so that made it something like 6 1/2 - 7.

i have some pics on my site below.

3. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

4. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

8" springs, NO body lift. 39.5 boggers /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]

5. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

What kind of drive-line changes did y'all have to make with the 8"?? I have the 2" Skyjacker right now so I figure a new drag-link, longer front and rear d-shafts, longer brake lines...what else? Do they beat the crap out of you going to the trail? That's the reason I was going to keep my 2" springs, 2" body, and then hog the fenders out, but I'm open to any opinions. I know my COG will be better if I keep the springs low and the fender hogging large. What are the primary advantages to going with the 8" leaves besides not having to hack your body /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif and getting the frame and engine up out of the way? Thanks.
    Chris /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

This is a pic of "Troopie's Tonka" With 8" superlift springs and 36" swampers. Before he went to x-over steering he had a drop drag link, rewelded spring perches for the back axle, I believe 4 degree shims up front and extended brake lines and longer shocks of coarse. Pretty sure they are stock drive shafts although the angle of the rear shaft is pretty nasty and would be much stronger if you went with a CV shaft for the rear.

[​IMG]

I've driven his blazer several times and personally I don't like the way it handles. It doesn't flex very easily and is pretty rough with as stiff as the springs are.

7. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

Steelsoldiers, The steering is not x-over, there's a 3" raised steering arm and 4" dropped pitman arm. It steers pretty well, but should be x'ed over. The rear diff has been rotated up ~10-12deg. and runs a custom cv shaft. Brake lines are still stock, but with modified brackets.

But how you end up building your rig depends on how and where you'll be using it. This rig is a mudder, pure and simple. She'll see some trails, but 95% mud and muskeg. It does not do a very good "Cadillac" impression when on the trails. Too answer your question, yes, big springs to get the frame and crap up and outta the mud to reduce ground-drag.

Sorry, I don't have a better shot of the suspension. But just remember 8" springs + 40" boggers + built 396 = SERIOUS BOGGER /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    [​IMG]

8. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Big O

we think it's an 8" lift, but we're not sure. that's "8" with no body lift and 35's

9. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

hey guys thanks for the pics. now i want to know what kind of problems that you guys may have/ like driveline angles or any problems that i might have if i go to a 8 inch lift.?also i want to know how hard is it to get up in and out ? i have a little trouble with it being at 4 now. i wont pull on the steering wheel.

10. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a problem with universals wearing out really fast, but that's to be expected. I get like 4-6 months on them without greasing them. Getting in it is a bit of a hassle. I grab the steering wheel, even though I know I shouldn't, but it hasn't started wearing it out any more than it already was. I got lucky and scored my lift (all springs!), rear driveshaft, front driveshaft spacer, and 4.56 10b's from a parts truck for $1500. And to think I also got a TBI engine as well that ran.

11. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

There wasn't that many problems we encountered with the 8". If you don't run x-over steering, take your time lining up the steering components. If you run a normal rear drive shaft, you might need it lengthened. And measure the rear pinion angle, you might need a couple of shims. For the rear lift I recommend 4" lift springs with a shackle flip, the ride improves, like night and day over blocks or all spring rears. And add a grab bar to the "A" pillar for pulling into the cab, or grab the door, above the triangle window for added leverage.

It's a sweet ride when all is said and done. Just to clairify though, The black K5 is a good friend of mine's, not mine. I'm "in between rigs" at the moment. My '80 K25 met an unfortunate demise /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif, but I salvaged my D60/14bFF and 10" lift kit, that's going into a Sub with 42's + 3" body lift this year /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif