Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8 inch lift?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Dieselmh, Oct 8, 2001.

1. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

I was pondering whether or not to go with an 8 inch lift. Does anyone run/know anyone who runs an 8 incher, if so, what brand and are they happy with it? What extra parts should I be prepared to buy? I will be doing my 14 bolt/ D60 swap at the same time, so cutting and rewelding the perches for pinion angle won't be a problem. Any help is greatly appreciated. Also let me know if I'm making a bad choice, do you think I should go higher, lower, leave it alone etc. Thanks guys.

Matt.

Diesel

Shouldn't it be called uncommon sense?

2. tmanofcali

tmanofcali 1/2 ton status

what size tires do you plan on running? what do you use it for? street? rockcrawling? do you use it hard? i have a 8" on mine with 10" in the back with 38s. i drive mine on the street and occasionaly a little off-road. answer these questions and it will help us give you better info. later......tmanofcali

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/tmanofcali1>http://community.webshots.com/user/tmanofcali1</a>

3. JoshA

JoshA 1/2 ton status

I have a 9" lift on my blazer and personally I wish that I would have gone with a little less. I have a 6" skyjacker softride suspension lift (which I love, great ride for this much lift) and 3" black diamond body lift. originally I wanted a 2" body lift but they sent me the wrong one so I decided to put it on anyway.

I would liked to have gone with less lift for a couple of reasons. first off, its kind of a pain to get in after a couple of years of doing it and it's even rougher on the wife (she's only 5'3"). a set of nerf bars would probably help, but you'd have to make your own. second, the truck is pretty top heavy this tall with the hard top on. its not bad without it but it can be a little scary still.

I went as high as I did to make sure that I cleared 35" tires and as I'm sure most of you know I did that and then some. I probably would be fine with just the 6" suspension lift. the reason I wanted 35's is because I wanted to be tall enough to have some clearance under the pumpkins, but stay in a reasonable price range. the price for anything over 35" is pretty outrageous in my book.

good luck
    -Josh

'72 blazer 9" lift YOKO mudders 35x12.50 350/sm465/3.73 UTAH

4. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

Thanks for help guys. I'm planning on running 38's. I don't have the top on it, and right now I don't have the doors on either. I plan on building some doors out of tubing soon, but I'll either run a bikini top, or no top. I only drive it on the weekends and it will mostly be used for mud, and some minor climbing. Since I live in SE Texas, rocks aren't a big deal. I'm also gonna put in a built 350 which should be pushing 425 HP and 425 ft/lbs of torque. Thanks for the input.

Matt.

Diesel

5. Tommy

Tommy 1/2 ton status

I have a skyjacker 6" and a 3" body lift. I have 16/38.5 swampers on 10" wheels. I had to do some cutting to keep from rubbing, still touches every now and then, when a tight situation off road.

Drive it Like You Hate It!

6. SilverJim

SilverJim 1/2 ton status

8" suspension and 3" body is enough to clear the 39.5" Boggers

1970 GMC Jimmy 502HO/SM465/NP205 doesn't run just yet!

7. travis

travis 1/2 ton status

Josh, how are your Yokos holding up? I'm looking a set for myself and was wondering about the mileage. I like the look of the Geolanders. I think they measure a little wider than normal 12.50's, correct?

8. JoshA

JoshA 1/2 ton status

yup, part of the reason I bought them was that they are the widest 12.50's I could find. most 12.50's are actually between 11" and 11 1/2" wide. if I remember right these are around 13" wide. AFA holding up they have been pretty good, I've had them about 18 months and there is still plenty of tread.

'72 blazer 9" lift YOKO mudders 35x12.50 350/sm465/3.73 UTAH

9. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

Are there any specific brands I should stay away from, or are they almost all alike?

Diesel

10. travis

travis 1/2 ton status

If I had a choice I'd go with Superlift. They seem to be the most common brand everyone is running and I can't recall seeing any negative comments about them.

11. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

Thanks man, I'm not gonna buy one for a little while, but I'd like to shop around once I find a good brand name.

Diesel

12. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am running 40" gumbo mudder and I have 6" sup.and 3" body. There is minor rubbing every once and while but nothing bad.

If you build it, the mud will fly!
    72 K5 blazer with a 427 tall deck and TH350/NP205 and 9"of lift with 40"tires.