Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8 inch versus 10 inch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sickquad, Jun 28, 2004.

1. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

So I'm planning on running 35" BFG's. Now I need rims. Most of the time we air down to about 15 or 20 psi when we go out trail riding and mud running. I don't go out and crawl over boulders like some of you freaks. I would like to try it though.

My question is how much of a difference will rim width make? Everyone seems to tell me something different. I ran 10" rims on my 33's just fine. Couple of dings on the lip but never damaged a bead or lip I couldn't fix.

I search the board but it seems like there is no consensous. Maybe it doesn't matter? I remember a long time ago an old timer telling me he would never run a rim more than 3" thinner than the tire for fear of breaking the beads?

-Chris

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you're going for looks and you'll never go below the 15 psi you mentioned go with the 10s. If you intend on bigger tires in the future go with the 10s.

If you never want to go any larger on tires, you DO intend to air down to 10 psi or less, and you intend on doing some crawling, go with the 8" wheels.

I run a 16" wide tire on a 10" wide rim. Some people here are running 13-14" wide tires on 7" rims and some guy in TTC ran 44x19.5" boggers this year on 8s.

12.50s will wear fine on anything from 8-12 but will last the longest and work best on 10" rims for road useage IMO. 8" wheels will certainly allow you to air down more before they want to come off, though.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't go out and crawl over boulders like some of you cool guys

[/ QUOTE ]
    fixed it for you chum /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't go out and crawl over boulders like some of you freaks .

[/ QUOTE ]
    Nah, he had it right the first time. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

My general rule is to run at least 2" inches wider of tire than the rim. Example: I run 35x16 boggers on 14's. I would run a 10" rim on a 35x12.50 BFG.