Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8" Lift Concerns...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5on38s, Dec 17, 2002.

1. K5on38s

K5on38s Registered Member

8\" Lift Concerns...

Ok let me start by saying i have an EXTREMELY small budget and a 89 Fullsize Blazer... I bought this truck with 6 lift and 35x12.5x15 truxus's (too small for me) So i bought a set of 38.5x16x15 with 400 miles for 600$ (dont ask how) and in order to fit these COMFORTABLY i was gonna go to 8" of lift. BUT i have 1 concern, and that would be pinion angles. I already have some pretty steep ones, so i waswondering if i could just drop the t-case 2 inchs when i add the 2 inches of suspention lift.....It ok toi drop a tcase 2" or not...? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif im kinda new at this incase you havent noticed /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: 8\" Lift Concerns...

If you're on a budget, why spend the money (if you have it) on new springs? Just get a body lift to raise it up 2 more inches. Cost will be an average $100 for the kit. Much cheaper than new springs. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. K5on38s

Body isn't lift applicable. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

if that's the case than chop those fenders till it stops rubbing! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. K5on38s

i already got the springs for the lift.....lol i just need to know if i can drop the t case 2 " w/o problems... :lol:

6. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

dropin the t-case 2 inche is does't sound all that smart from my opinion, why can't ya do a body lift? Look at my webshots I'm runnin 38.5 swamper tsl's with a 6 inch lift and 3 inch body. I went this route to avoid the severe angles. I 'm also gettin rid of my half ton axels to avoid breakage. I hope you don't have a 10 bolt rear or you better get a damn good job or your bank account will take more hits than Jake PLummer, the QB for the AZ Cardinals! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

try it!? i would watch the distributor though...it might get pushed into the firewall and crack the cap.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I didn't even want to drop my case 1". 2" you'll probably end up rubbing the distributor on the firewall. Plus your driveline angle in the front is REALLY going to suck. </font color>

9. K5on38s

Damn i for got about the front angle......i was thinkin it would drop straight down...i forgot to take into concideration it would also drop at an angle.......grrrrrr
    But i reallty dont wannt do a body lift. The fenders, doors quarters....ectect look fine....but the underside isnt dso healthy....im not sure a body lift would hold up....

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

As you drop the rear to make for a better angle out back, the front of the transfer case is tilting upwards, making the front driveshaft angle worse. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif You're also tilting the engine at the same time. In addition to watching that the distributor cap doesn't hit the firewall, make sure that the fan isn't too close to the radiator or shroud.

11. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

... you can fit 38.5's with a 6" lift?
    How much do you rub?!

12. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, with everybody trying to help you with some ideas, I guess its time for you to get out and learn first hand what fits, hits, and doesnt.

So, with you being on an EXTREMELY tight budget, go ahead and lower the t-case 2" and try it out. I can't say it will or will not work as every truck responds differently to different set ups. Best thing you can do is to do the "trial and error" method.

Be warned though, many, many of us have been where you are at now. Taking the advise in the above posts would be wise to do.

I'm still standing by my opinion for you to go with a body lift, since the budget won't allow you to spend $600 for front and rear springs. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

13. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

One comment on what K30 guy said, try the 2" drop, and check the firewall and dist. clearance. I can tell you from now that you will have no space if not even a cracked dist. cover before you hit pavement. Let alone off road.
    I tried a one inch drop and the dist hit the firewall when I was wheeling and it poped open and the engine died.
    Go with the body lift and or trim fenders.

14. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

And correction here:
    Body lift applicable.
    But you could say:
    Body lift not desired.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

thats 6 inch lift + 3 inch body thats how I park 38.5 tires /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You said you already have the prings, rgiht? So just go ahead and do it, get some box tube for $10 and see how it works. If it does't just sell the spings and get a body lift. You'll only be out a couple bucks and some time. But you'll know what will work and what won't.

17. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

For an 8", Drop the case 1" and some axle shims to match parallel yoke angles and you'll be fine. Did you get springs for the rear too? BTW even with 8" you'll bump those purdy fenders (swampers are true to their size) going over a curb. At one time I had 8+3 w/ 39.5s and still managed to 'doink' my fenders bogging...went with the 10!
    You never know though, let's see some pics after you're done /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Dropping the case more than 1 1/4 in will cause the shifter to bid up and IF you can get it into 1st youll have to hold it down to make it hold. (and yes I did adjust the linkage, it just wont make the angle from the frame pivot to the tranny) I had 1 1/2 and 1st gear was almost unsuable. I just built a torque arm for the mount which lifted the case back up 1/4 in and now I can get into 1st and dont have to hold it in. It can be done but youll have to drop the pivot at the frame where the linkage goes over to the tranny.

You can get a spacer for the front shaft to space it forward 1 in. to help w/ a lenght issue. I dont have it on mine but know guys w/ 8s that do. I just clearanced the hell out of my front shaft at the CV when I went up to 8, and I think my shaft had been lengthened by the PO.

19. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Just trim the fenders, its no big deal. Do you plan on wheeling this truck? I used to run 8 inch springs, they ride like hell and dont flex for Sh%t. Trim your fenders and call it good.

20. K5on38s

But my fenders are soo pretty..... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif lol, J/K.... I managed to finds a se to free so ill hac....i mean trm those up and see what goes (after al in buffalo NY theree is no wheeling in the winter all i do is plow