Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8" lift / Front Drive line angles????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CarsonRoen, Apr 27, 2001.

1. CarsonRoen

CarsonRoen Registered Member

8\" lift / Front Drive line angles????

i have a 73 Jimmy and some guys down at the diff shop say that i need to have my whole front end machined so tehy can rotate the diff up. I did not think that was a good idea, what do you guys do about the front driveline angle???? do you just add much shimming? help please before i spend thousands of dollars.

2. 4xmac

4xmac Registered Member

Re: 8\" lift / Front Drive line angles????

Well Carson that can present quite a problem with 8" of lift. GM front ends require about 5-7 degrees positive caster to steer stright and not wander. Adding front shims to kick up the front pinion to lesson the front driveline angle only adds more positive caster angle wich worsens steering. To be done properly and restore original caster angle, your front axle tubes need to be pressed out and the pioion rotated up the proper amount to releive driveline angle and restors proper caster angle. I had Dynatrac perform this on my D60 with 6"of lift. It cost about 600.00 . Some people have the nuckles cut, turned, and rewelded. Dynatrac advises against this procedure. Hope this helps.

MAC